The Co-op Thread

all new Phil

As someone who lives in an area without many Co-Op shops, I'm genuinely baffled by the whole concept of them.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2017 09.15 As someone who lives in an area without many Co-Op shops, I'm genuinely baffled by the whole concept of them.
Which bit? They're not that dissimilar to Tesco Express stores, just a tiny bit bigger.
all new Phil

I don't understand why anybody would want to be a member of a group of not very competitively priced shops. I also don't understand why they have such a bizarre array of brands and names depending on where you are.

Obviously I understand the concept of a convenience store!
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2017 12.16 I don't understand why anybody would want to be a member of a group of not very competitively priced shops. I also don't understand why they have such a bizarre array of brands and names depending on where you are.

I'd say very few people go out of their way to use Co-ops, they're used because they're convenient. Not unlike Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local; I doubt many people would walk a mile for a Tesco Express if there's a Sainsbury's Local half a mile away.

Membership is pretty much analogous to Nectar or Clubcard; not a particularly good reason to shop in a particular place but you might aswell take it if you go.
thegeek

all new Phil wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2017 12.16 I don't understand why anybody would want to be a member of a group of not very competitively priced shops. I also don't understand why they have such a bizarre array of brands and names depending on where you are.

I suppose there's the ethical standpoint - they tend to go for free range and fair trade by default. I guess it's analogous to a Little Waitrose.
Three Lefts Do

jonathan wrote: Thu 20 Apr, 2017 03.22The store looks really messy and uninviting in your pictures. Is it always like that?
Yup.

It's always a sorry mess both inside and out. I've only ever seen the area where people are supposed to be able to queue in front of the Post Office counter choc full of the tall rack trolley thingumies used for moving the shop's stock around. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing the PO counter looking like it's actually open, so goodness knows what limited trading hours it must have.

Disappointed that they're not taking the opportunity to introduce more daylight. New signage on such an otherwise abysmal frontage is but a t u r d-polishing exercise, IMHO.

Surprised it's getting named after Henbury as whole, given what I previously said about its size and location compared to the Crow Lane one. Mind you, the Crow Lane one arguably also effectively serves at least part of Brentry irrespective of being located within Henbury. So, maybe the neutrality of naming that one after its road (as and when it gets rebranded) is less contentious option?
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?
james2001

They're basically somewhere you only go because of Sunday trading restrictions meaning the big shops are close on Sunday evening :P
james2001

Just got my car insurance renewal documents today- strangely they're still a mix of old co-operative branding and new co-op branding!
nidave

I came across a new style co-op service station - think it looks pretty nice
dosxuk

Dr Lobster* wrote: Thu 25 May, 2017 19.25 http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/brundall-ve ... -1-5034720

First world problems and all that.
Ah, the EDP, home of all the important stories.

My favorite bit is at the bottom
The Co-op own brand product costs £1.35, or two for £2