Sourcing Kays Catalogues

nomad1

Hi everyone, I am a new user so I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I have seen threads about mail order catalogues being discussed, such as this one from 2010: viewtopic.php?t=6293

I was wondering, does anyone know where I could find Kays Catalogues from the early 2000s? I have looked on eBay, etc without much luck and would really like to trade/buy if possible. I hope you can help, thank you.
JAS84

Why would anyone want old mail order catalogues? Most of them have probably long since been recycled. :?
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:Why would anyone want old mail order catalogues? Most of them have probably long since been recycled. :?
Perhaps this person was a Kays catalgoue model. Perhaps they're interested in the fashions of the past. Perhaps they're a social historian. Perhaps they're simply a collector of something they remember vividly from their past.
gottago

bilky asko wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Why would anyone want old mail order catalogues? Most of them have probably long since been recycled. :?
Perhaps this person was a Kays catalgoue model. Perhaps they're interested in the fashions of the past. Perhaps they're a social historian. Perhaps they're simply a collector of something they remember vividly from their past.
They're probably just a weirdo.
cwathen

gottago wrote:
bilky asko wrote:
They're probably just a weirdo.
And how many people on here perused those old Argos books at the time the thread linked to above was active, posted on a forum born out of a forum set up mainly for people who found the bits in between TV programmes more interesting than the programmes themselves?
stu

As someone who would love some old shopping catalogues to peruse, I was shocked to see some of the prices 80's and even 90's Argos catalogues go for on ebay. They are less likely to be kept than an old Radio Times or newspaper, so had to settle for discs of jpg scans!

All I can say is just stick your request on an ebay alert and just wait, one will be listed eventually
cwathen

stu wrote:As someone who would love some old shopping catalogues to peruse, I was shocked to see some of the prices 80's and even 90's Argos catalogues go for on ebay. They are less likely to be kept than an old Radio Times or newspaper, so had to settle for discs of jpg scans!

All I can say is just stick your request on an ebay alert and just wait, one will be listed eventually
Yeah I saw that - £35-£40 for an old Argos book which was free to start with! Are they actually selling though - when it comes to retro stuff you do see a lot of 'nutter' ads on ebay grossly over-stating the value of the item (like people trying to sell Commodore 64's or Sinclair Spectrums for £500 claiming them as 'rare'; you can actually pick up good condition boxed examples for a tenth of that).

Wish I realised there was a market for this sort of thing before - one of the more OCD things I did as a youngster was to collect Argos catalogues. At one time I had every edition from Autumn/Winter 1993 up to Spring/Summer 2001 - all in pristine condition (I grabbed a separate copy for general thumbing, my 'archive' copies were untouched). All got thrown out about 3 years ago as part of a clearout. On the basis of these ebay listings, I threw away about £1200 there.
bilky asko

Looking at sold listings on eBay, they vary from £10-20 and £90.