The BIG MetroPoll - IN or OUT ?

Are you IN or OUT ?

IN
31
70%
OUT
13
30%
 
Total votes: 44
Alexia
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 17.50

SomeRandomStuff wrote:Watch it, dont watch it. I could care less.

I would however be very interested to hear the opinions of anyone, in the Remain camp or undecided, who does decide to watch the whole thing. Every person i've spoken to has been vehemently 'Vote Leave'.
So it's infectious, sadistic, brainwashing propaganda then?
For me the economic and immigration arguments are irrelevant. This vote is entirely about democracy. Vote Leave if you value democracy. Vote Remain if you couldnt care less about it and would quite happily see our country swallowed up by an anti-democratic dictatorship. Where a few unaccountable 'elites' decide what is 'best' for us as if we were all brainless children.
Oh shut up you tart. We have unelected civil servants in Whitehall and local government who wield much more power than the EU does and we've been happy with that for decades. No-one whinges when private companies influence government policy, when tobacco companies influence taxation on fags etc.... democracy shamocracy. The EU debate has basically been 1001 Ways Of Saying "I'm Not Racist But...".
SomeRandomStuff
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 02.20

Alexia wrote:
SomeRandomStuff wrote:Watch it, dont watch it. I could care less.

I would however be very interested to hear the opinions of anyone, in the Remain camp or undecided, who does decide to watch the whole thing. Every person i've spoken to has been vehemently 'Vote Leave'.
So it's infectious, sadistic, brainwashing propaganda then?
For me the economic and immigration arguments are irrelevant. This vote is entirely about democracy. Vote Leave if you value democracy. Vote Remain if you couldnt care less about it and would quite happily see our country swallowed up by an anti-democratic dictatorship. Where a few unaccountable 'elites' decide what is 'best' for us as if we were all brainless children.
Oh shut up you tart. We have unelected civil servants in Whitehall and local government who wield much more power than the EU does and we've been happy with that for decades. No-one whinges when private companies influence government policy, when tobacco companies influence taxation on fags etc.... democracy shamocracy. The EU debate has basically been 1001 Ways Of Saying "I'm Not Racist But...".
Whether it is infectious propaganda or not i dont know, because i have only spoken to people who are vehemently vote leave. I have not spoken to anyone who was pro-remain or even undecided let alone know of anyone who has had their opinion swayed by watching it. I was hoping there might be someone on this forum willing to take the time to watch it and perhaps provide me with better than "just ignore that cunt Delingpole". I'm more than willing to accept that i may be wrong about certain issues.

By the way... If you're calling me racist you can fuck right off.
Square Eyes
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.38

rdobbie wrote: As for the debate itself, I've been dismayed reading Facebook and various forums in recent weeks by the number of people who seem to be picking the politican they hate the most out of Cameron/Corbyn/IDS/Gove/Farage/Galloway/Boris then going with the opposite stance on the EU vote to the said politican.
Yes you see this a lot. Cameron is OUT's biggest asset. Many see this less about Britain's future in the EU but as an opportunity to oust him. Does anyone think he would go in the event of a leave vote ?
robschneider
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed 14 Aug, 2013 14.53

Alexia wrote:
robschneider wrote:The ironic thing is that you don't even know if I'm white or otherwise.

"When one resorts to personal insults, it is because they have not a single political argument left." -- Margaret Thatcher.
You are white. Everything about what you post, how you post it, what you say, comes across as typical middle-class entitled white dude with a chip on his shoulder the size of the horsehead nebula.

Ah yes Margaret Thatcher. Friend and protector of Jimmy Savile.
What has Jimmy Savile been convicted of?
woah
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12.39
Location: Sheffield

robschneider wrote:
Alexia wrote:
robschneider wrote:The ironic thing is that you don't even know if I'm white or otherwise.

"When one resorts to personal insults, it is because they have not a single political argument left." -- Margaret Thatcher.
You are white. Everything about what you post, how you post it, what you say, comes across as typical middle-class entitled white dude with a chip on his shoulder the size of the horsehead nebula.

Ah yes Margaret Thatcher. Friend and protector of Jimmy Savile.
What has Jimmy Savile been convicted of?
Are you honestly implying that Jimmy Savile was not guilty of being a child sex abuser? And you wonder why people don't take you seriously. I wonder if you actually expect them to - perhaps you enjoy being deliberately controversial.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 2084
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

rdobbie wrote:A massive OUT from me, mainly because the EU is an affront to our democracy and parliamentary sovereignty. I don't want unelected overseas people deciding they can impose or increase taxes on British citizens, with Westminster being totally powerless to stop it.

Simple as that really.
We don't have democracy. The Parliamentary election system we have is a farce; not a system designed to represent the votes of the people.

This is actually what sealed my vote as IN. Overall, the policies of the EU have been good, progressive things that have bolstered the rights of workers and consumers. I take comfort in the fact that those things are beyond the control of our crummy government.

The fact that those in politics who want that power are (broadly) those with the views I most object to reinforces my view that without the EU the man on the street would be far worse off.
Image
robschneider
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed 14 Aug, 2013 14.53

woah wrote:
robschneider wrote:
Alexia wrote:
You are white. Everything about what you post, how you post it, what you say, comes across as typical middle-class entitled white dude with a chip on his shoulder the size of the horsehead nebula.

Ah yes Margaret Thatcher. Friend and protector of Jimmy Savile.
What has Jimmy Savile been convicted of?
Are you honestly implying that Jimmy Savile was not guilty of being a child sex abuser? And you wonder why people don't take you seriously. I wonder if you actually expect them to - perhaps you enjoy being deliberately controversial.
I'm not convinced it's all true. Nobody said anything when he was alive. Are you really telling me everybody was too scared? I do not believe this.
Alexia
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 17.50

He's on the cooking sherry again.
bilky asko
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 19.48

WillPS wrote:
rdobbie wrote:A massive OUT from me, mainly because the EU is an affront to our democracy and parliamentary sovereignty. I don't want unelected overseas people deciding they can impose or increase taxes on British citizens, with Westminster being totally powerless to stop it.

Simple as that really.
We don't have democracy. The Parliamentary election system we have is a farce; not a system designed to represent the votes of the people.

This is actually what sealed my vote as IN. Overall, the policies of the EU have been good, progressive things that have bolstered the rights of workers and consumers. I take comfort in the fact that those things are beyond the control of our crummy government.

The fact that those in politics who want that power are (broadly) those with the views I most object to reinforces my view that without the EU the man on the street would be far worse off.
The same EU that broke its principles at a drop of a hat because the migrant issue was siddenly affecting the more powerful countries in the EU.

The lack of Proportional Representation is no reason, in my eyes, to support an even less democratic organisation and cement its place for decades.
Image
User avatar
Neil
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 17.02
Location: Manchester

SomeRandomStuff wrote:I would however be very interested to hear the opinions of anyone, in the Remain camp or undecided, who does decide to watch the whole thing. Every person i've spoken to has been vehemently 'Vote Leave'.
Could you please clarify whether you mean every Remain/undecide who has watched it has been converted to Leave (and in a vehement manner)? Or is that you have only spoken to people who vehemently want to leave?
james2001
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 23.10

Just looking at the sort of people who support Brexit is probably one of the biggest adverts for voting to stay In that there is! The likes of Farage, Johnson, IDS, Gove, Grayling and the various rabid right-wingers on Digitalspy that support it are more than enough to tell me it's not a good thing.

I also wonder when these brexiters say everyone they know supports leaving, I wonder how many of them just tell them they're voting leave to shut them up! I know I would.
Please Respond