Independent newspaper closes down

JAS84

The Independent newspaper is closing down. The i is to be sold to Johnston Press.
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/independe ... ston-press
Alexia

Your thoughts?
WillPS

It isn't closing down. They are closing down production of a physical media, but (most of) the media output will continue online.

Before some smart arse compares it to BBC Three, which is closing down (by [shit] stealth), The Independent already reaches far more online than it does through print, so it isn't the same thing at all. Also The Independent is actually a worthwhile thing.
JAS84

I did specify the Independent NEWSPAPER.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:I did specify the Independent NEWSPAPER.
Only the print edition of the newspaper is closing. They themselves report the newspaper as continuing in digital form only:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 69736.html
thegeek

Can a newspaper be a newspaper if it's not on paper?
Alexia

thegeek wrote:Can a newspaper be a newspaper if it's not on paper?
Yes.
Whataday

No.

(just in the interest of balance)
Alexia

Whataday wrote:
No.

And that's where the Indy fell down. Trying too hard to rival the Times and the Guardian at the same time. Appealing to a middle ground that doesn't exist. Trying to be all things to all men. It was too staid and traditional in visual style to rival the Guardian's hip layout and talented writers, and was too woolly and liberal to appeal to cornflake-spluttering middle-classes. Great writers such as Robert Fisk couldn't attract an audience, and the Johann Hari affair scarred it permanently in my opinion. Gimmicks such as their dramatic magaziny front pages and the Viewspaper (eugh) fell flat. The only saving grace was the i - a wonderfully novel approach to newspapering which has outlived its parent.

It will be missed, but then forgotten, and the website will suffer a similar fate in a few years time.
Philip

Alexia wrote:
Whataday wrote:
No.

And that's where the Indy fell down. Trying too hard to rival the Times and the Guardian at the same time. Appealing to a middle ground that doesn't exist. Trying to be all things to all men. It was too staid and traditional in visual style to rival the Guardian's hip layout and talented writers, and was too woolly and liberal to appeal to cornflake-spluttering middle-classes. Great writers such as Robert Fisk couldn't attract an audience, and the Johann Hari affair scarred it permanently in my opinion. Gimmicks such as their dramatic magaziny front pages and the Viewspaper (eugh) fell flat. The only saving grace was the i - a wonderfully novel approach to newspapering which has outlived its parent.

It will be missed, but then forgotten, and the website will suffer a similar fate in a few years time.
This is mostly my opinion on it as well (but better put). If I'm actually buying a newspaper I usually get the Times, although if I'm reading online I usually visit the Guardian's site (even before the Times paywall). Not so much for the opinion pieces but for news (it has a very nice design, in keeping with the Guardian's typography and colour scheme). Never really been swayed to get the Independent instead, and the headlines - at least on the Twitter account - are very clickbaity nowadays, although at least the website lets you read articles from decades gone.
robschneider

It's a shame. I'll miss its political balance compared to the Times, Telegraph or Guardian.