Very local chains

iSon

South Yorkshire Caravans.
Good Lord!
Nick Harvey
God

You can't pull a better deal!
Pete

I should just close the thread as nothing can beat South Yorkshire Caravans.

Two that stand out from my time in the NE were Roys bakers (which I think it still going but vastly shrunk) and the former Joplins department store chain.

Would Fenwick count in here? It's not a national chain in the sense of John Lewis but the power it retains in Newcastle in formidable
"He has to be larger than bacon"
tillyoshea

Pete wrote:I should just close the thread as nothing can beat South Yorkshire Caravans.

Two that stand out from my time in the NE were Roys bakers (which I think it still going but vastly shrunk) and the former Joplins department store chain.

Would Fenwick count in here? It's not a national chain in the sense of John Lewis but the power it retains in Newcastle in formidable
A few more North East examples off the top of my head... Collectables, JG Windows, Grainger Games, Van Mildert (though that's starting to expand a bit), and the forever-leafleting Eduardo Pelle.

Also maybe Shakeaholic for a little while during that particular fad, but I think it's died back to only a couple of stores now. And Coolaboola coffee (though they might be down to a single location now).
WillPS

I'm surprised Roys and Hughes have got a mention for the Anglia region but Jarrolds hasn't! Lovely department store in Norwich, which is one of the few remaining department stores which has everything over about a million floors, and then in other towns throughout the county there are little satellite shops which to be honest I don't understand.
Martin Phillp

South London has Morley's in Brixton and Tooting. This is a chain of department stores, rather than the fried chicken franchise outlet.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

does Arnold Clark count?
bilky asko

The latest post by tillyoshea in the Baffling local news stories thread has revealed Smiths TV as another very local chain, as one of the adverts on the newspaper's site.

http://www.smithstv.co.uk/generic/website.asp?page=home

They have 4 stores, and they apparently price match Currys, John Lewis, and AO.com
JAS84

wells wrote:Since having year living in the North East, I've noticed a couple of Heron's in the Midlands. But it's as far South as that brand travels as of yet.
Yes, Heron mostly exists in the north of England. They're based in Hull.

Another Hull example would have been Jackson's, prior to them being taken over by Sainsbury's 12 years ago - they're now mostly Sainsbury's Locals though a few have closed down. Ironically, they closed the one in Hull City Centre (due to competition from a nearby Tesco Extra), which became a Heron that still displays a WJ monogram at the entrance, only to regret it and later re-open in a former Post Office nearby!
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:
wells wrote:Since having year living in the North East, I've noticed a couple of Heron's in the Midlands. But it's as far South as that brand travels as of yet.

Another Hull example would have been Jackson's, prior to them being taken over by Sainsbury's 12 years ago - they're now mostly Sainsbury's Locals though a few have closed down. Ironically, they closed the one in Hull City Centre (due to competition from a nearby Tesco Extra), which became a Heron that still displays a WJ monogram at the entrance, only to regret it and later re-open in a former Post Office nearby!
Oh, has that branch moved? The previous branch was very narrow, and possibly the smallest Heron branch I've seen.

The ex-Sainsbury's store had a Lottery counter, which I've never seen at another Heron. Also, the signage was all weird - the background was cream instead of Yellow, and it looked like someone tried to recreate the logo without having the italic version of the logo font.
JAS84

bilky asko wrote:
JAS84 wrote:

Oh, has that branch moved? The previous branch was very narrow, and possibly the smallest Heron branch I've seen.

The ex-Sainsbury's store had a Lottery counter, which I've never seen at another Heron. Also, the signage was all weird - the background was cream instead of Yellow, and it looked like someone tried to recreate the logo without having the italic version of the logo font.
You misread my post. I said that Sainsbury's Local had moved, or rather, reopened after being gone for a while. That shop on the corner of Paragon Street is still a Heron.