The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

thegeek

Tue 12 Feb, 2019 03.00

Critique wrote:
Mon 11 Feb, 2019 20.36
Went into a NatWest branch for the first time today to make a transfer, as I could only pay a certain amount via the app as I hadn't paid the payee before, and because to do a higher amount online you need the card reader, which I didn't have as I was at work. A quite baffling experience ensued!
Next time, ask around in case any of your colleagues have one - they're not tied to an individual user (as I think the HSBC ones are). You can also use any reader of the same type, regardless of whose logo is on it: the same ones are used by the other RBS brands, Nationwide and the Co-op.
Critique

Tue 12 Feb, 2019 21.53

thegeek wrote:
Tue 12 Feb, 2019 03.00
Critique wrote:
Mon 11 Feb, 2019 20.36
Went into a NatWest branch for the first time today to make a transfer, as I could only pay a certain amount via the app as I hadn't paid the payee before, and because to do a higher amount online you need the card reader, which I didn't have as I was at work. A quite baffling experience ensued!
Next time, ask around in case any of your colleagues have one - they're not tied to an individual user (as I think the HSBC ones are). You can also use any reader of the same type, regardless of whose logo is on it: the same ones are used by the other RBS brands, Nationwide and the Co-op.
Yes this is a good point and not something a lot of people realise! Haven't ordered one from NatWest because I know I've already got a Barclays and a Nationwide one at home that'll work, so probably worth leaving one of them at work now!
WillPS

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 01.25

You could also just order (another) one from Natwest.

I agree though, I find their requirement that you have one on hand a bit annoying. Supposedly paying the payee once via online banking with the card reader unlocks that payee so you wont need a card reader... but on more than one occasion I've found that their system has 'forgotten' everyone and needs me to go through the whole card reader hoopla again.
Pete

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 08.04

Yes I much prefer the TSB solution of it calling your mobile and reading out a number. I'd go mad if I had to cart around a silly card holder at all times.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
gottago

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 19.05

This totally passed me by until returning home today. The Liverpool Echo Arena is now called the M&S Bank Arena. Of all the brands to sponsor an arena, that would be the last one I'd have thought of. I wonder if they've got a big push for the brand planned now like they've done with their food.