Poundland to buy out 99p stores

Martin Phillp

JAS84 wrote:Why would they disappear? Poundland still has to clear out 99p Stores' warehouse so they won't be discontinuing their product lines overnight.
Indeed, Poundland are still shifting the 99p Stores stock of fancy Heinz farm soups.
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

barcode wrote:
JAS84 wrote:Why would they disappear? Poundland still has to clear out 99p Stores' warehouse so they won't be discontinuing their product lines overnight.
how do you know there haven't scalded back the warehouses already and just direct all stock to existing 99p stores.
I was replying to a post that expressed concern about products disappearing when the branding changed - in other words, an existing 99p store...
barcode

JAS84 wrote:
barcode wrote:
how do you know there haven't scalded back the warehouses already and just direct all stock to existing 99p stores.
I was replying to a post that expressed concern about products disappearing when the branding changed - in other words, an existing 99p store...
If poundland doesn't sell the stock, and the 99p store is becoming a poundland, then of course, said stock will disappear. :? If not I'll be happy and I can keep on buy my Mega biscuits.
Worzel

Here's a former 99p Store in Sudbury, Suffolk having its Poundland makeover at the moment (was an M&S food hall before 99p stores took over 7-8 years ago).

There's a second (larger) 99p Store in Sudbury still awaiting its refurb.

barcode

I've been told the 100 best lines from 99p store will be place into Poundland.
Martin Phillp

Poundland have added a page of photos of all their current 99p Stores conversion openings.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/about-us/cha ... ndraisers/
TVF's London Lite.
wells

Poundland have launched Poundland and More as a trial store in some of the other former Family Bargains stores.

Also looks like a rebrand might be on the way for Poundland though with a new type face.

http://retailanalysis.igd.com/Hub.aspx? ... &nid=15196

Could see some of the existing retail park stores converting to this format eventually as they're trying to shoehorn in ways to move to higher price lines.
cwathen

****1000th post****

Most (all?) of the 99p stores in this part of the world have now been done (now lets see how long it takes them to start shutting stores - we now have two stores in Torquay so close together that if you stand in the right place you can see them both at once).

A bit surprised they didn't do that Poundland & More job on the slightly-but-not-quite out of town Exeter branch which used to be a 99p store. It was on a retail park and would seem to be exactly the kind of store that would suit this format, as it is they've just converted to regular Poundland.

And seriously...they might be tweaking their branding *just after* rolling out the existing scheme to over 200 stores?

Wouldn't say the deals are that amazing...£4 for a bottle of dubious quality wine or a four pack of Carlsberg is a good enough deal but it's only the same sort of deal you can get in any corner shop (it'll be even less at a supermarket), certainly nothing to set the world alight.

Oh, and because they've retained round pound pricing, they are still 'reflecting the core value proposition' apparently...so looks like they'll ultimately deal with inflation by retconning Poundland to mean 'everything's a multiple of a pound' rather than 'everything's a pound'
Martin Phillp

Poundland have closed one 99p Stores locally, the Surrey Quays store where clearly the company didn't want to maintain two leases in the shopping centre.

Lewisham now has three Poundland stores, two within a 2 min walk of each other and a larger store in a retail park.
TVF's London Lite.
wells

Even before the 99p Stores takeover I knew of at least two city centre Poundlands within a 30 second walk of each other.
Alexia

Here in Newport there's one on the high street, one in a nearby arcade, as well as a city centre B&M Bargains and Wilko, all next to each other, plus a PoundWorld too. They know their target audience alright.