Poundland to buy out 99p stores

all new Phil

We have a mixture of cheap and expensive HDMI and HDMI-DVI cables at my work - no difference between any of them. Some cheap ones have gone knackered over time, as have some of the expensive ones too.
barcode

I thought it was well documented, there are no difference and shops are making Sh** load off money of stupid people.
Philip

I remember back in the halcyon days of the tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo, every other week there'd be a story about Monster Cable and their ridiculously overpriced cables (including HDMI).

They were also originally responsible for the Beats by Dre headphones, but in a surprising turn of events lost the brand thanks to what has been called "one of the all time worst deals in tech": http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre- ... -the-world
dosxuk

barcode wrote:I thought it was well documented, there are no difference and shops are making Sh** load off money of stupid people.
There are differences, but whether or not the differences are useful to most people is debatable. The main differences I've come across are quality of the connectors, and quality of the cable shielding. When working, we use HDMI over long (20m+) runs, in noise electrical environments and we regularly plug/unplug/throw in case - for this use, the bargain basement cables are useless, the plugs fall off, and the pictures are full of sparkles. At home though, all my interconnects are cheapo ones, because they only get moved once a year tops, and there's no whacking great motors or dimmer racks sitting next to it trying to swamp the signal out.

That said, the really expensive ones take the piss. It's often cheaper to go to fibre than buy the "professional" cables with their oxygen-free cable, gold-plated connectors and unicorn-hair-braid.
thegeek

Alexia wrote:Are you Dave Gorman?
No, but until recently I lived not just up the road from him, so many of the locations mentioned in 'Modern Life is Goodish' were familiar to me. I may have shopped in the same pound (plus or minus) shops as him.
Alexia

Alexia gave kudos
robschneider

I must admit I like the imitation aftershaves in our local Poundworld, done by a company called Virtualbrands. The cynic in me imagines that they're used heavily by toilet guys, but they smell pretty convincing.
WillPS

Ah brilliant. Now whenever I see them and ask myself "who would buy these", I'll think of you. Perfect.
barcode

Im still not happy, 99p stocks a good number of NON uk stuff. Poundland doesn't do this as much,
bilky asko

WillPS wrote:Ah brilliant. Now whenever I see them and ask myself "who would buy these", I'll think of you. Perfect.
I don't think I'd ever sink down to John Paul Dupont, never mind £1 fragrances, as my regular fragrance. I only say that because I once bought an Adidas EDT for £1 from DiscountUK (on the one and only occasion I went there). You needed to spritz it about 20 times to get any smell, and it lasted about 10 or 20 minutes before fading away. I've smelt more complex odours from a bottle of Febreze; at that price point, you might as well get a can of Brut or Old Spice and at least get some strength.
robschneider

Let's clear something up here. I do a lot of driving in my line of work, so they're good to have in the car where I'm not bothered about something that costs a quid being subject to the huge environmental variables of a car. I'm not putting my £60 Armani Code in there... do you think I'm completely round the bend? The constant temperature changes and sunlight will bugger the fragrance.

I keep my aftershave in the fridge for that reason. Cool and dark.