Poundland to buy out 99p stores

Martin Phillp

rdobbie wrote:But, as you say, the Woolies-to-99p Stores conversions were done on an absolute shoestring. Even now, some have remnants of Woolies in place like the 'Staff Only' signs on the doors.
Yes, Penge was a typical 99p Stores lack of conversion job at the start. They used the Woolies tills, kept the flooring and even the metal doors complete with the 'w' logo from the 70s.

They did last year rip out some of the metal doors to put a shutter and moved the tills to where most of the doors are leaving a two door entrance/exit and added the current 99p Stores branding sign.

This store is dying for a standard Poundland conversion.

For comparison, here's a pic of the shop as Woolworths Local and as 99p Stores before the 2014 shop front changes.

TVF's London Lite.
cwathen

So it's surprising to learn that Poundland aren't converting 99p Stores to the usual Poundland standard.

I wonder if the actual stock was changed in the Paignton store, or whether they continued selling 99p Stores own-brand stock*, or what remains of it, for £1.00?
Interestingly, the Paignton store appears on both the Poundland and 99p stores websites (on the latter it is listed as 'rebranded as Poundland'), but the Torquay stores (one of each) are only listed on the respective websites. Even though they still have two brands at present when they are both knocking out the same tat surely it would make sense to merge the websites together now and show all of the stores across the two names?

I haven't noticed whether the stock is any different at Paignton, only had a quick peep through the door since the rebrand, but I doubt they'd bother changing it when it could just be sold through - would imagine that the 99p store stock would now go to any store wouldn't it?
rdobbie

cwathen wrote:
I haven't noticed whether the stock is any different at Paignton, only had a quick peep through the door since the rebrand, but I doubt they'd bother changing it when it could just be sold through - would imagine that the 99p store stock would now go to any store wouldn't it?
I suppose it all comes down to business decisions about how, if at all, the buying departments at the two head offices are to be merged.

When Morrisons bought Safeway, as I understand it the Safeway buying department was just shut down overnight and all its own brand items were deleted from converted stores before they reopened.

Hopefully Poundland will take a more measured approach and will consider if there are product lines, supplier arrangements, and key personnel - like buyers and in-house product designers - from 99p Stores' head office who are worth keeping on board. (For example, some of 99p Stores' seasonal items (Christmas cards, garden products, etc.) are better designed and manufactured than the Poundland equivalents).
Whataday

Talking of Woolworths, has it been mentioned that Woolworths.co.uk is no more?
WillPS

rdobbie wrote:
cwathen wrote:
I suppose it all comes down to business decisions about how, if at all, the buying departments at the two head offices are to be merged.

When Morrisons bought Safeway, as I understand it the Safeway buying department was just shut down overnight and all its own brand items were deleted from converted stores before they reopened.

Hopefully Poundland will take a more measured approach and will consider if there are product lines, supplier arrangements, and key personnel - like buyers and in-house product designers - from 99p Stores' head office who are worth keeping on board. (For example, some of 99p Stores' seasonal items (Christmas cards, garden products, etc.) are better designed and manufactured than the Poundland equivalents).
What about the "The Best" stuff? Was that just a brand which Morrisons used to create their own selection?
Whataday wrote:Talking of Woolworths, has it been mentioned that Woolworths.co.uk is no more?
Somewhere... I'm not really sure what the point of it was anyway, Shop Direct already have Littlewoods and Very doing almost exactly the same stuff!!
Martin Phillp

rdobbie wrote:
I remember when Morrisons acquired Safeway, the stores had M own brand products and Safeway carriers were replaced with Morrisons ones which gave an indication of things to come.

If you go into a 99p Stores shop currently, there's no indication of a takeover, the stock is still different, carriers are still 99p branded and they run their own social media accounts and CS from their own head office. As I mentioned about Penge, they don't even mention on the signs that the shop is rebranding, just that it's closing down.
TVF's London Lite.
barcode

The thing with 99ps stores it has alot more Non UK content, and im not sure if Poundlands to continue with said product. There would be made if there didn't.

Maybe the plan is to keep everything sperate expect back office work?
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote:I remember when Morrisons acquired Safeway, the stores had M own brand products and Safeway carriers were replaced with Morrisons ones which gave an indication of things to come.
Shortly after my local Safeway City Store was taken over by Somerfield, I managed to buy Safeway, Morrisons and Somerfield own-brand products in the same transaction.

I feel like I may have related this anecdote on this forum before.
Finn

Martin Phillp wrote:
rdobbie wrote:But, as you say, the Woolies-to-99p Stores conversions were done on an absolute shoestring. Even now, some have remnants of Woolies in place like the 'Staff Only' signs on the doors.
Yes, Penge was a typical 99p Stores lack of conversion job at the start. They used the Woolies tills, kept the flooring and even the metal doors complete with the 'w' logo from the 70s.

They did last year rip out some of the metal doors to put a shutter and moved the tills to where most of the doors are leaving a two door entrance/exit and added the current 99p Stores branding sign.

This store is dying for a standard Poundland conversion.

For comparison, here's a pic of the shop as Woolworths Local and as 99p Stores before the 2014 shop front changes.

Slightly OT, but I was in the Stretford B&M Bargains earlier - it's in a former Woolworth's unit (in a shopping mall). Looking around, I suspected that most of the fittings haven't been changed since Woolies' demise.
rdobbie

WillPS wrote:What about the "The Best" stuff? Was that just a brand which Morrisons used to create their own selection?
That's right, they only took "The Best" logo and applied it to Morrisons' existing premium range (can't remember what it was called) - but all Safeway's "The Best" actual products were deleted.

Same with Safeway's "Eat Smart" healthy range - they slapped that logo on the existing Morrisons' "Better For You" range. But with the cheapo range they stuck with Morrisons' "Bettabuys" instead of Safeway's "Savers".
jonathan

rdobbie wrote:
WillPS wrote:What about the "The Best" stuff? Was that just a brand which Morrisons used to create their own selection?
That's right, they only took "The Best" logo and applied it to Morrisons' existing premium range (can't remember what it was called) - but all Safeway's "The Best" actual products were deleted.

Same with Safeway's "Eat Smart" healthy range - they slapped that logo on the existing Morrisons' "Better For You" range. But with the cheapo range they stuck with Morrisons' "Bettabuys" instead of Safeway's "Savers".
And now the Savers brand has returned. They must regret some of their earlier decisions now.