Migrating broadband provider and upgrading to fibre

m-in-m

I currently have ADSL broadband with Sky and I'm now looking at changing to Plusnet but also upgrading to FTTC at the same time. I was wondering if anyone has been through this process though perhaps with other providers?

Am I looking at an ADSL migration from Sky to Plusnet followed by an upgrade to FTTC and if so will this mean having to change routers twice? Alternatively am I just likely to be without broadband between leaving Sky and FTTC being activated? I also can't recall if BT Openreach are still sending engineers out for activations or if it has now gone the same way as ADSL - does anyone know?
WillPS

It certainly used to be the case that you'd transition as an ADSL customer then upgrade when moved over. The router situation will depend on the ISP you choose.

Plusnet only have one router (and it's a very basic one), which functions as either an ADSL router (taking a signal from an RJ11 cable connected through a microfilter to your phone line) or a "cable" router, which simply takes a WAN connection through ethernet and distributes it. As part of the fibre install Openreach will provide you a modem - you might need to reset your router to stop it trying to act as an ADSL modem.

I think TalkTalk and BT now have routers that can act as with either ADSL or Fibre (without a separate modem).
Nick Harvey
God

I'm amused by all this router changing nonsence. Any ADSL router will work with anybody's ADSL service. If you change supplier, you just log into the router and change the destination and password to the ones for the new provider.

Logging into the router, itself, is far simpler than most people think; and the Administrator username and password for them are not difficult to ascertain.

I won't publish them in open forum here, but PMs welcome!
Martin Phillp

I was recently offered a discounted upgrade to FTTC on TalkTalk. They offer a supposed 'Super Router' with a self install. It's ADSL2 compatible, so you're able to use your old connection, then simply transfer to FTTC on the agreed switchover date.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Nick Harvey wrote:I'm amused by all this router changing nonsence. Any ADSL router will work with anybody's ADSL service. If you change supplier, you just log into the router and change the destination and password to the ones for the new provider.

Logging into the router, itself, is far simpler than most people think; and the Administrator username and password for them are not difficult to ascertain.

I won't publish them in open forum here, but PMs welcome!
That's just not true. Sky routers, for one, need to be flashed - and that's only possible with some older models.

O2/Be routers were locked too, although they could be forced to co-operate (and be reflashed with OEM firmware) if you were alright using Telnet.

Regardless, what's being discussed is a move to VDSL, and unless the OP has an ADSL/VDSL modem (and it's open or flashable) changing router or at least adding a new modem will be necessary.
Nick Harvey
God

WillPS wrote:That's just not true.
Oh, okay. I'll bow to your superior knowledge then.
m-in-m

Thanks for your replies and I agree the router situation can be silly. While Plusnet provide a very basic router I believe, unlike some providers, they are more than happy for you to use your own.
WillPS

m-in-m wrote:Thanks for your replies and I agree the router situation can be silly. While Plusnet provide a very basic router I believe, unlike some providers, they are more than happy for you to use your own.
It'll probably be fine tbh. I'm still using mine even though I moved over to EE last month. I have the EE one in its box still (it arrived several days after my connection moved over), saves the faff of re-authenticating the 10 or so things that connect to it.

I'm only putting ADSL through it, that said. No fibre on my street now Digital Region has gone.
Martin Phillp

I have the standard ADSL router from TalkTalk which has very poor reviews, yet the wired connection works fine and wifi works throughout my flat, the only downside is only having two Ethernet ports.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

With my Sky deal coming to an end, I've decided to switch to BT Infinity. Once the Quidco cashback and Sainsbury's voucher are taken into account, it's £41.23 for the first year, which is a rather nice deal.

I signed up online last night, and so far have had 6 emails and two texts confirming and/or thanking me for their order. I sort of get why that kind of thing happens, but given how joined-up the sign-up process was online, you'd think they'd be able to streamline this bit a little.
cwathen

Martin Phillp wrote:I have the standard ADSL router from TalkTalk which has very poor reviews, yet the wired connection works fine and wifi works throughout my flat, the only downside is only having two Ethernet ports.
I had that router (a Dlink DSL 2680) and it did me fine for over 2 years. The basic white box looks ugly but it was functional and the lack of ethernet ports wasn't that big a deal, I just stacked a switch onto it. It ran for months and months at a time with no problems.

Talktalk moved me to a 'Super Router' last year when I renewed, this looks a lot sexier and has 4 ethernet ports but I found it to be an absolute crock of shit with the wifi frequently dropping out and it had issues with 'forgetting' the port forwarding set (randomly it would stop working but in the settings it was still set. Resetting the router did nothing, you had to delete the port forwarding entries and enter them again to make it work, until the next time it broke).

Despite there being a ton of negative reviews about this thing, TalkTalk were resolute that nothing was wrong with it and refused to change it, leading to me giving up on it after a few months and pulling out the old DSL2680 again.

Trouble is, the new router would do fibre which the old one won't, and now I'm looking at changing to fibre I'm not entitled to a new router without a charge because I already have a 'super router'. May be time to move suppliers.