Migrating broadband provider and upgrading to fibre

Martin Phillp

cwathen wrote:
Martin Phillp wrote:I have the standard ADSL router from TalkTalk which has very poor reviews, yet the wired connection works fine and wifi works throughout my flat, the only downside is only having two Ethernet ports.
I had that router (a Dlink DSL 2680) and it did me fine for over 2 years. The basic white box looks ugly but it was functional and the lack of ethernet ports wasn't that big a deal, I just stacked a switch onto it. It ran for months and months at a time with no problems.

Talktalk moved me to a 'Super Router' last year when I renewed, this looks a lot sexier and has 4 ethernet ports but I found it to be an absolute crock of shit with the wifi frequently dropping out and it had issues with 'forgetting' the port forwarding set (randomly it would stop working but in the settings it was still set. Resetting the router did nothing, you had to delete the port forwarding entries and enter them again to make it work, until the next time it broke).

Despite there being a ton of negative reviews about this thing, TalkTalk were resolute that nothing was wrong with it and refused to change it, leading to me giving up on it after a few months and pulling out the old DSL2680 again.

Trouble is, the new router would do fibre which the old one won't, and now I'm looking at changing to fibre I'm not entitled to a new router without a charge because I already have a 'super router'. May be time to move suppliers.
If I ever get tempted to upgrade to TalkTalk FTTC, I'm buying my own router. The so called 'Super Router' from virtually every account I've read is a massive dud.

The D-Link (DSL 2680) has been a great ISP router for me. Very simple to use and to change DNS settings to use a paid for DNS for instead of TalkTalk's own and has been excellent both for the PC and Smart TV via Ethernet.

I get the full 17mbps ADSL2+ from them and just renewed my contract with half price broadband for 12 of the 18 months.
TVF's London Lite.