2015 UK Election

barcode

Why is Conhome nicking ideas for UKIP? There bad mouth the UKIP alot of the time yet seem to be in bed with them about alot of issues,.

http://manifesto.conservativehome.com/

1: Homes: Ownership first
Britain doesn’t just need more homes, it also needs better, more affordable homes. A building boom that sucks in cheap money looking for a quick return will not deliver affordability. We must therefore freeze out the property speculators with an ownership first condition on the development of new housing. Councils would be given the power to reserve the sale of new homes to those intending to live in them.

2: Homes: New Garden Cities for the 21st century
The piecemeal approach to building new homes has failed. We need a vision for the development of strategically located areas like the Thames Estuary. Therefore we propose the creation of Garden City Corporations, empowered to clear the obstacles to large-scale regeneration. Existing residents would have a direct financial stake through the allocation of shares in each corporation – and the closer the impact of new development, the more shares they’d get.

3 Jobs: Scrap HS2 to create a Northern infrastructure Fund
The battle for Britain’s future prosperity will be won or lost in its cities beyond London. HS2 is yet another London-centric mega-project that won’t even reach the North until the 2030s and won’t reach key cities like Liverpool at all. We would scrap HS2 and re-direct the planned public investment in its entirety to a Northern Infrastructure Fund under the control of elected mayors from across the region.

4 Jobs: A new deal on immigration
Britain must regain full control of its borders, repatriating power over immigration policy from the European Union. With this renewed freedom, the existing immigration targets would be replaced by a points-based system emphasising the skills needed for economic growth. New migrants would be required to purchase their own health and welfare insurance cover –and access to public services would have to be earned.

5 Savings: A fair share of pensions tax relief
Upfront tax relief on pensions is worth between £20 and £30 billion a year, but this disproportionately benefits the wealthiest savers. A fairer allocation of this vast amount of money is needed to provide ordinary working people with a greater incentive to save. The highest rates of relief should go to savings made from the lowest incomes.

6 Savings: Hands-on financial education
As a country, we must rebuild our savings culture – and the best place to start is with the young. We therefore propose that funding should be allocated to endow every school with the seed capital for an investment portfolio. This would form the centre-piece of a hands-on programme of financial education. Dividends would be paid out to every pupil – providing they passed a financial literacy test and paid the money into a personal savings account opened as part of the test.

7 Money: Higher National Insurance thresholds
National Insurance Contributions are a direct tax on jobs. To boost job creation and the earning power of ordinary working people, we would make NICs our top tax-cutting priority. We would begin by eliminating employee and employer contributions for all under-25s on the minimum wage – extending the tax cut up the age range and income scale as resources allow.

8 Money: A UK Sovereign Wealth Fund
Countries like Norway have set up sovereign wealth funds –allowing them to save as a nation, not just as individuals. In Britain, however, successive governments have squandered ‘windfall’ revenues instead of investing them for the future. We therefore propose the creation of a UK Sovereign Wealth Fund, mutually-owned by all British citizens and into which all new windfall revenues would be paid.

9 Power: Devo-Max for all the home nations
Whatever the result of the Scottish referendum, is is clear that the existing relationship between Westminster and the four home nations cannot be sustained. We propose devolved national governments for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland – each with its own First Minister. The English Government and First Minister would be chosen by MPs for English constituencies.

10 Power: Direct Democracy, including internet voting
Merely electing our MPs and councillors every four or five years and hoping for the best is not good enough. There should be a genuine right of recall. Work should begin on the introduction of electronic voting. The passing of a referendum bill should be made a non-negotiable condition for Conservative participation in any future Coalition Government.
barcode

Interesting video about swings,

WillPS

Good video but I think it really shows that anything is possible. Worth remembering that pollsters continue to improve their sampling techniques and that may or may not be a major factor, particularly in the 90s elections; 1992 being the election expected to return a hung parliament but actually returning a comfortable Tory majority.
robschneider

Like in 1992, it will be The Sun wot wins it.
WillPS

robschneider wrote:Like in 1992, it will be The Sun wot wins it.
That is total bollocks. The Sun have chosen the obvious victors at every election; I wouldn't be surprised if they don't support anybody in the wholesale way they have previously next time.
robschneider

WillPS wrote:
That is total bollocks. The Sun have chosen the obvious victors at every election; I wouldn't be surprised if they don't support anybody in the wholesale way they have previously next time.
Exactly. Whoever The Sun backs will win. That was my point.
WillPS

robschneider wrote:
WillPS wrote:
Not particularly helpful a comment at this stage.
Alexia

robschneider wrote:
WillPS wrote:
What if the Sun backs UKIP? Or if (as it may be) the Scottish Sun backs the SNP? And they both lose?
DTV

robschneider wrote:
WillPS wrote:
No you've got cause and effect the wrong way round. The Sun backs whoever looks like will win and then they win. They backed the Tories in 92 and got lucky and anyway even though the polls suggested close it's basic polling knowledge that there is always a swing towards the status quo on the day of an election or referendum.

Neither Kinnock or Major really had a lead so on the day it swung towards the status quo as per normal. Contrary to what most people know believe Major was not really an underdog at all and the Sun's quite rude headlines probably did little to swing the vote, just like in the same way if The Sun supports UKIP at the next election as has been suggested, UKIP will not win.

In other news, in 3 of the age groups the Greens are now polling higher than the Lib Dems. In 18-24 the Greens are polling ahead of UKIP in 3rd place with 13%. Greens also now outpolling Lib Dems in the C2DE category.
barcode

He needs hit. Why oh why are the westminster leaders so truly awful...

barcode

Know I know why!

No wonder people are going to UKIP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2n7oMcSi0&sns=tw
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2n7oMcSi0&sns=tw[/youtube]