2015 UK Election

robschneider

So who would you have lead? My issue is that Cameron is extremely unpopular at the moment. With a new leader, they've a bigger chance of winning next year.
barcode

Where have I heard that before?
all new Phil

robschneider wrote:So who would you have lead? My issue is that Cameron is extremely unpopular at the moment. With a new leader, they've a bigger chance of winning next year.
Is he really so unpopular? He gets the highest approval rating out of any of the leaders - although maybe that says more about them than it does about him.
ASO

all new Phil wrote:
robschneider wrote:So who would you have lead? My issue is that Cameron is extremely unpopular at the moment. With a new leader, they've a bigger chance of winning next year.
Is he really so unpopular? He gets the highest approval rating out of any of the leaders - although maybe that says more about them than it does about him.
He's doing alright. For a bloody tory, that is.

Rob - I'd have David Cameron lead. I don't care though because I hate them all anyway. Still though. BoJo would make a rubbish PM.
Pete

all new Phil wrote: although maybe that says more about them than it does about him.
This.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

robschneider wrote:I think Boris would be a fantastic PM. You can say a lot, a very lot, about him, don't get me wrong. But the guy is arguably the only straight talking guy in politics.
Straight talking? Ask him a question he doesn't want to answer, and he'll obfuscate till the cows come home.
Don't get me wrong, he's a clever man - but he's not much of a do-er. What's he done for London since he's been mayor? Other than launch projects started by Ken, he's not got a lot to his name other than a dangleway that doesn't go anywhere very useful, and an expensive bus that isn't particularly well-liked by people who have to use it.
WillPS

thegeek wrote:
robschneider wrote:I think Boris would be a fantastic PM. You can say a lot, a very lot, about him, don't get me wrong. But the guy is arguably the only straight talking guy in politics.
Straight talking? Ask him a question he doesn't want to answer, and he'll obfuscate till the cows come home.
Don't get me wrong, he's a clever man - but he's not much of a do-er. What's he done for London since he's been mayor? Other than launch projects started by Ken, he's not got a lot to his name other than a dangleway that doesn't go anywhere very useful, and an expensive bus that isn't particularly well-liked by people who have to use it.
Boris Bikes?

The Borismaster may be expensive but it's great that there is now recognition that London's bus needs are different from anywhere else in the world.
thegeek

WillPS wrote:Boris Bikes?

The Borismaster may be expensive but it's great that there is now recognition that London's bus needs are different from anywhere else in the world.
I'm a bit reticent to credit him with the bikes - the idea had been kicking around the London Assembly for quite some time, though the contract may have been signed on Boris's watch. The sponsorship deal certainly could have been better than what he achieved.

And I'm not sure that the Borismaster is the right answer to London's bus needs. Have you been on one? The top decks have ineffectual air conditioning (and no opening windows), and there aren't really all that many dual-crewed ones driving around with an open rear platform. Also, the capacity is lower than a standard off-the-shelf hybrid bus...
Alexia

Boris Bikes were actually a Livingstone initiative.
martindtanderson

All Boris has done was represent the Olympics which Ken Livingstone's team won. He popularised the Cycle-Hire scheme with Ken Livingstone began. And he replaced the pushchair and wheelchair friendly (but unpopular) "Bendy Buses" with the modern Routemasters which are much less useful for those passengers.
WillPS

We'll see. The Routemasters were not immediately popular in London but they're now hailed as the best bus London ever had. The recognition that London's needs are like no other is the most positive bit for me.

I say all this, I'd definitely not vote for Boris if I were a Londoner.