2015 UK Election

all new Phil

You tell us.
DTV

barcode wrote:Q:

What if Tories win the most seats in the election, but loses its one mp in Scotland, The lib dems end up with no mainland seats in Scotland.

The and end results is Tory/Lib dem/UKIP coalition? would it result in a constitutional knight mare for Scotland? IE indep ref Mk2:
Yes, though I doubt UKIP will not make significant enough gains in the election, a situation with virtually no representation in Scotland would lead to the SNP calling for yet another referendum. It is unlikely that they would be granted one but I could imagine that such a refusal by an unrepresentative Westminster government could lead to protests which could escalate. Interestingly, Northern Ireland hasn't had any representation by major parties in the Commons for decades, though technically the UUP follow the Tory whip - they lost their MP in 2010.

Luckily for Scotland, the more likely outcome is a LAB/SNP coalition* possibly with the Lib Dems to bolster up the numbers (the Lib Dems won't be in a position to demand much seeing how Danny Alexander is near definitely going to lose his seat to the SNP and Sheffield Hallam is being vigorously targeted by Labour). This would be the total opposite of a constitutional nightmare for Scotland and would probably weaken the calls for Scottish Independence and possibly weaken SNP support if the Coalition Effect is a general thing, rather than a fast growing hatred of the Lib Dems.

*It is important to remember that in the event of a LAB/SNP coalition you would also have Plaid Cymru's 2/3 MPs as they sit as a single party with the SNP in the Commons (Mebyon Kernow would also sit in this bloc if they ever got elected). Furthermore Labour could also rely on the support of the SDLP whom generally follow the Labour whip. If the Lib Dems were involved they would also have the one Alliance MP, should they hold Belfast East, as they tend to follow the Lib Dem whip.
madmusician

What if Tories win the most seats in the election, but loses its one mp in Scotland, The lib dems end up with no mainland seats in Scotland.

The and end results is Tory/Lib dem/UKIP coalition? would it result in a constitutional knight mare for Scotland? IE indep ref Mk2:
I'd love a constitutional knight. Perhaps he could advise the new government on points of diplomacy. Shall we nominate the Anglia knight for it - I think he'd do a good job...
Pete

madmusician wrote:

I'd love a constitutional knight. Perhaps he could advise the new government on points of diplomacy. Shall we nominate the Anglia knight for it - I think he'd do a good job...
Is he like the anglia knight?

I strongly doubt the Lib Dems would ever go into coalition with UKIP. Lab/SNP is a very interesting concept however and quite possible, although it would likely stir resentment down south.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
barcode

The point of the question:

Were going into this election blindfolded, ie what happens, happens, it means either side cant complain if

A: SNP go into coalition with labour, since were a union and cover the whole of the UK ie resentment down south cant have it both ways.
B: Scotland has no representations in any new government form, since were a union and cover the whole of the UK , and as said people in yorkshire might never have voted for the new government,
Alexia

Under our current (lack of) constitution and the way the country is spread out at the moment, no-one can complain about any party going into coalition with any other. Labour are perfectly entitled to go into coalition with the SNP. If Labour offer the SNP a deal whereby the SNP get the decisions they want made for Scotland IN Scotland (that aren't already north of Hadrian's Wall) then Labour can get on with sorting the UK-wide issues with SNP support without any challenge from the "English" parties. (SNP are still putting up representatives for UK Parliament as that is where Scotland is represented still. They're not going down the principled-but-slightly-daft route of Sinn Fein - i.e. abstentionist.) After all, UKIP's support so far is concentrated in the south east. What happens if they go into coalition with the Tories having won their 5-10 seats in the Home Counties. Is allowing them to vote on matters that affect the north west any less fair than allowing the SNP, UUP, DUP, SDLP and Plaid to vote on English-only matters?
bilky asko

barcode wrote:would it result in a constitutional knight mare for Scotland?
Treguard is strongly anti-devolution, so no.
robschneider

Will Mr Farage be the kingmaker this time round, in the way that Nick Clegg was five years ago? If UKIP come third, which is a very likely outcome, one of the big two will have to jump into bed with them. And that isn't going to be Labour. I find Labour supporters seem to hate the Tories and UKIP in equal measure. I have been shot down all my life for voting Tory, this year I have decided to switch to UKIP and still the Labour lot berate me for it.

Why would you vote Labour this time around? Surely it's like hiring Gary Glitter to be your babysitter?
Pete

robschneider wrote:Why would you vote Labour this time around? Surely it's like hiring Gary Glitter to be your babysitter?
Stay classy.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

robschneider wrote:Will Mr Farage be the kingmaker this time round
No, of course he fucking wont.

Jesus.
Alexia

Nice to see UKIP are attracting sane, normal people into their Volkswehr.

There's been numerous news stories and polls this week about the apparent splintering, fracturing and loss in support for far-right jackbooted thugs like BF, BNP, NF, EDL etc. Yet the UKIP vote has risen. Coincidence?