2015 UK Election

WillPS

Philip wrote:I can't quite believe it to be honest. I guess my risky prediction wasn't so risky after all!
Yes, well done.

I'm seriously worried now, not just for the next 5 years, and for all of the people who are going to have to suffer as Universal Credit rolls out ruining more and more peoples lives. My main worry is that the Tories will likely force through a load of crap like EVEL which means we are consigned to Tory leadership in all except 1997/2001 type scenarios; and probably reduced numbers of MPs/boundary changes to suit them.
Square Eyes

Well one thing we can look forward to is Paddy Ashdown eating his hat on live TV. As promised in reaction to that exit poll last night.
barcode

We really need to get some sort of PR in to this election.
all new Phil

I think it's fair to say that the result is less a win for the Conservatives and more a huge loss for Labour, and proves the point I've continuously made that there just isn't the appetite for a Labour government with the party in its current state. To lose seats after 5 years of "Tory cuts" is an absolute disgrace.

I don't see a way back for Labour. They can't argue against austerity, because that is exactly what they were proposing. The economy is improving, and is showing all the signs of continuing to do so. They've backed themselves into a corner, unable to argue against cuts for fear of being branded irresponsible.

I'd love for the left to throw their weight behind the Greens now. Labour is finished.
robschneider

It has been a fantastic piece of theatre, and a truly historical 16 or so hours. Some of it expected, such as the SNP landslide, others less so - a Conservative outright victory I don't think anyone saw coming. Nor did I think we'd see quite so many resignations.

Labour are now going to head onto political wilderness for a good decade I feel, much in the way the Tories did after 1997.

As for the Lib Dems... RIP.
JAS84

If we had proportional representation, the Lib Dems would have more seats than the SNP. They got almost 40% more votes. UKIP also wouldn't have won only one seat. It's no wonder people don't turn out when the government isn't what you voted for. PR would also have resulted in the Tories not having a majority.
bilky asko

Using the vote share, and presuming an entirely proportional result, the numbers would be as follows:

CON - 240
LAB - 198
SNP - 31
LD - 51
UKIP - 82
GRE - 25
OTH - 24
Gavin Scott
Admin

all new Phil wrote:I think it's fair to say that the result is less a win for the Conservatives and more a huge loss for Labour, and proves the point I've continuously made that there just isn't the appetite for a Labour government with the party in its current state. To lose seats after 5 years of "Tory cuts" is an absolute disgrace.

I don't see a way back for Labour. They can't argue against austerity, because that is exactly what they were proposing. The economy is improving, and is showing all the signs of continuing to do so. They've backed themselves into a corner, unable to argue against cuts for fear of being branded irresponsible.

I'd love for the left to throw their weight behind the Greens now. Labour is finished.
So there's a Labour party, er, party this evening in Scotland. I'm told that they intend to immediately move on and discuss 2016.

Not sure what to make of it. I have spent today watching party stalwarts in the south saying they failed to deliver their message. I just don't think they had one - or rather - delivering a diluted tory message was unconvincing in the south and unpalatable in the north.

I want them to be a party that stands for something, hell or high water. Not all SNP policies are supported by all the SNP voters, but they are delivered with certitude - not about outcomes necessarily but about the need to try or the motivation of common good behind them. I don't expect all things to work or all promises can be delivered; but I feel there's an agenda with my party of choice that I can stand by. Labour observed false flags about immigrants and benefits cheats and tried to out-tory the tories. What's the fucking point in that?

So, as diametrically opposed as I am to the Conservatives I have to say congratulations on your victory. Try and do as little harm as you can, but by Christ we will be watching.

If nothing else, as the third party in Westminster, the SNP get two questions a week at PMQs. That should be good viewing.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Ha. I click onto facebook after posting and see the following.

Clearly a well understood failure.

Guaranteed to fall on deaf ears though.
Square Eyes

That's the predicament for Labour.

Too far left for England, too right wing (Tory-lite) for Scotland.

They have a massive identity crisis. Can they ever get a majority again ?
Gavin Scott
Admin

At the risk of provoking a groan, is it possible that the answer is the dissolving of the political union of the UK so that we can live and trade side by side with separate governments which speak appropriately to the people of each country?