2015 UK Election

barcode

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297 ... -tomorrow/

It seems it could make Labour have not a chance in hell of getting into No10. But alot of people have mist a very important fact it would also mean the Tories would have 0 Seats and the lib dems 1 ( not even on the mainland)

It would mean the Tories would have no Mandate to be the party of government, and the SNP would never dare get in bed with them unless some very greasy hands policy were dropped.
all new Phil

I think that the SNP are going to do a hell of a lot more damage to Labour than UKIP are going to do to the Conservatives.

Why would the Conservatives have no mandate though, if they won a majority at Westminster?
barcode

Oh come on, you really think it will be that clear cut? there were dire warnings in 1992 of this happening.

At least the current government has a Tory MP and 11 Lib dems, Now to head to 0, It will cause a constitutional knightmare.
Pete

barcode wrote:a constitutional knightmare.
<3
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

barcode wrote:Oh come on, you really think it will be that clear cut? there were dire warnings in 1992 of this happening.

At least the current government has a Tory MP and 11 Lib dems, Now to head to 0, It will cause a constitutional knightmare.
Why?
barcode

You really have to ask why? It will reopen the independence vote again.
all new Phil

Well I have to ask why if you aren't making yourself clear.

Why would it reopen the independence vote debate? We have literally just *had* the independence vote. Not sure if you missed which way it went?

I appreciate that it might not have gone the way you wanted it to go, but that doesn't give Scotland the right to veto whoever the rest of the UK gives a majority to. That's the system that Scotland opted to stick with.
barcode

all new Phil wrote:Well I have to ask why if you aren't making yourself clear.

Why would it reopen the independence vote debate? We have literally just *had* the independence vote. Not sure if you missed which way it went?

I appreciate that it might not have gone the way you wanted it to go, but that doesn't give Scotland the right to veto whoever the rest of the UK gives a majority to. That's the system that Scotland opted to stick with.
I fully understand why your asking. But the Scottish public is fickled, A constitutional knightmare, will happen. I cant fully explain this, but I would just make a mess of it if I tried at this moment of time. If no one else is unable to I will give it a try at some point over the coming days.
Critique

The thing is that no matter how 'fickled' the Scottish people may feel, the Scottish People voted to stay part of the union, so if the Conservatives (or any party) achieve a majority next year, they'd have a mandate to govern, whether the party that goes onto govern has a majority in Scotland (or even a seat there) or not. And from what you're saying, this could even happen if a coalition is formed, if the SNP, Labour and that one Lib Dem are going to end up as the only parties in Scotland, and will likely not want to/be of little use in forming a coalition. It doesn't technically matter if the governing party gets no seats in Scotland because that's not how our elections work (although if this happened I can't see it going unmentioned!) - it's a total of all the seats they have throughout the UK, and it doesn't matter where they come from. It would be an incredibly poor result, but I can't see it causing another referendum, with Call me Dave saying on September 19th it wouldn't be happening again. And even if it turns out to be something like a Labour coalition, if they do as badly as that poll suggests in Scotland, they're hardly going to want to lose more seats!

If it's any consolation, when further powers get devolved to the Scottish government in one respect it'll matter less who governs in Westminster, as fewer decisions about Scotland will be made outside of it. Although saying that, the government of the day in Westminster could still decide to take the powers back.
Alexia

Voting SNP does not automatically equate to wanting independence.

It would however be a neat way of solving the West Lothian Question.
Peter Crossley

More good news for UKIP as Mark Reckless wins in Rochester and Strood http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30140747