Europe - in or out?

Gavin Scott
Admin

For those of you in England, Wales and NI, would you vote to exit the union, and why?
Bail

Yes - In spite against certain EU regulations that have negatively impacted on my life. Ignoring any financial or serious thought on the matter.
barcode

Shouldn't the Question be:

1974 Eu Terms or out?
martindtanderson

I don't see how leaving the EU and going it alone will strengthen our position in the world. Nor do I see how allowing the Tories to trample over human rights, workers rights, and a global, humanitarian, approach to relations with other countries - will make this country a nicer place to live in.

Does that mean I think the balance of powers between Nation states and the EU representatives is perfect. Or that there isn't more that could be done within Europe to improve democracy and global trade and relations.

I think all of the EU and ECC needs reform. Leaving it is a huge step, with an uncertain future. And the ideal is to be in it, but for the terms to be changed. Not just for ourselves, but equally among all the nations.
Nick Harvey
God

barcode wrote:Shouldn't the Question be:

1974 Eu Terms or out?
I think I'll ignore that post, given the reaction from north of the border when someone from south of it tried to suggest the wording for the Scottish Independence referendum question.
all new Phil

I have literally no idea which way I would vote, and I think the reason for this is that it is nigh-on impossible to read the positives and negatives without the extreme bias from each side of the argument. The pro-EU side say leaving would be bad for jobs, bad for the economy, bad for international relations, with statistics to back all of this up. The anti-EU side say exactly the opposite, with equally compelling statistics to back themselves up.

I think the media in particular are guilty of reporting the negatives and ignoring the positives of EU membership. If it is as bad as we are told, then why ARE we in it? Why is it not the policy of any of the main parties to leave? Even David Cameron would say that, despite offering a referendum if they win the next election, he would rather remain in.
WillPS

martindtanderson wrote:I don't see how leaving the EU and going it alone will strengthen our position in the world. Nor do I see how allowing the Tories to trample over human rights, workers rights, and a global, humanitarian, approach to relations with other countries - will make this country a nicer place to live in.

Does that mean I think the balance of powers between Nation states and the EU representatives is perfect. Or that there isn't more that could be done within Europe to improve democracy and global trade and relations.

I think all of the EU and ECC needs reform. Leaving it is a huge step, with an uncertain future. And the ideal is to be in it, but for the terms to be changed. Not just for ourselves, but equally among all the nations.
I agree with pretty much all of that. We should also join the Schengen zone.
cdd

The most tangible way I've been positively affected by the EU is in the dramatic reductions in (and forthcoming elimination of) data roaming charges. I'm normally a fan of letting the free market sort things out, but this is a perfect example of where that simply can't work.

Which segues rather nicely into the observation that, if we leave the EU, not only might we have to start paying roaming charges in the EU but that this category would include an independent Scotland.

WillPS: I'm not sure that joining the Schengen area is a bad idea. But given that there are relatively few points of entry between the UK and the rest of the EU, and border control is therefore not quite such a massive undertaking, what would be the upsides?
WillPS

cdd wrote:WillPS: I'm not sure that joining the Schengen area is a bad idea. But given that there are relatively few points of entry between the UK and the rest of the EU, and border control is therefore not quite such a massive undertaking, what would be the upsides?
Far more train services using the Channel Tunnel - direct services from Edinburgh, Cardiff, Manchester and to destinations in Germany and beyond. Sleeper services could potentially run through to Poland, Italy, Spain.

Being out of Schengen bottlenecks the amount of these services to what St Pancras International can cope with as the border control nonsense is ridiculously expensive.
Philip

Thought it may be a good idea to resurrect this topic - as a Conservative majority means we will indeed be getting an in/out referendum by the end of 2017, and it's been over a year since the original posts. How would you vote if it was held tomorrow?
Alexia

In. Better to push for reforms as a member. Plus I have a personal interest.