I've lost my wallet?

Critique

Hello,

So as you may have guessed, I appear to have lost my wallet. I only noticed this afternoon when I didn't know where it was, but I must of lost it yesterday afternoon. I got some money out to pay for it in town yesterday, but didn't use it after I left the shop, and have no idea what happened next. I suspect it's somewhere odd around the flat, but it feels different to when I've just misplaced it like before - it's not anywhere I expect, but it rarely is when I've misplaced it!

However, I think I need to be cancelling cards and whatever regardless, just in case - should I leave it a bit longer until I begin that and is there anything in particular I should do?

Thanks.
Pete

Generally speaking it's better to be safe than sorry, I'd phone up and get your cards cancelled sooner rather than later. If the worst happens and someone goes on a spree with your card it doesn't look great when you say "oh but I thought i'd leave it".

Plus as soon as you cancel them all it'll turn up. So that'll help :)
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Critique

Pete wrote:Plus as soon as you cancel them all it'll turn up. So that'll help :)
Got halfway through the call to Barclays and found it - didn't get to the point of actually cancelling but you're right that it causes them to show up! Had to explain to the man on the other end, who had already hung up on me once 'due to a bad signal and for my convenience', that I had found my wallet, on top of a fallen over pile of books behind the printer, no less.

All this denial about how there was money yet to make it to the bank in it for nothing, eh!
Alexia

In other, slightly related, news, over the past few months I have had issues topping up my O2 mobile phone (yes, I'm still a PAYG luddite) with my HSBC card. Every single time, despite me entering the card details correctly, the top up is declined and my card is blocked (although only for EFTPOS purchases, not for cash withdrawals). Happily, HSBC were STRAIGHT on the phone today as soon as I rung off from the top up line and after confirming who I was, reactivated my card. I have no idea why, after 11 years of being on the same network and having the same bank account, why there should suddenly be an issue with my card being declined for topup.
marksi

I am reading this topic title inwardly in the style of Ron Burgundy, with a slight head tilt and quizzical look at the end.
Sput

marksi wrote:I am reading this topic title inwardly in the style of Ron Burgundy, with a slight head tilt and quizzical look at the end.
Knight knight
thegeek

Cancelling all your cards does mean you get to play the game of 'spot the concealed bank card' when they turn up in the post. Normally it stands out like a sore thumb, being a C5 manila envelope with the address printed in a faux-handwriting font and a stamp stuck on at a slightly jaunty angle.
Pete

thegeek wrote:Cancelling all your cards does mean you get to play the game of 'spot the concealed bank card' when they turn up in the post. Normally it stands out like a sore thumb, being a C5 manila envelope with the address printed in a faux-handwriting font and a stamp stuck on at a slightly jaunty angle.
I've always had them in normal DL white window envelopes with a distinctive bulge where the card is. The game I get to play is "when the hell is my bloody pin that is sent separately ever going to arrive."

On a totally different note, I'm in the process of plotting my escape from TSB after realising they're a crock of shite. I closed the 6 e-savings accounts I'd used on internet banking to keep bits of money aside for certain things and have now had about 12 envelopes through the post with endless statements since the dawn of time relating to them explaining to me how important they are as they have details about the 8p of interest I earned since 2007.

They were all promptly shredded.
thegeek

I wonder if I live in an area where credit cards are statistically more likely to go missing in the post?

Mind you, you are in Dundee, aren't you?
Pete

thegeek wrote:Mind you, you are in Dundee, aren't you?
You know, jokes aside, I've never had a major issue with Royal Mail, it's the couriers that are the problem round here.
WillPS

Pete wrote:
thegeek wrote:Cancelling all your cards does mean you get to play the game of 'spot the concealed bank card' when they turn up in the post. Normally it stands out like a sore thumb, being a C5 manila envelope with the address printed in a faux-handwriting font and a stamp stuck on at a slightly jaunty angle.
I've always had them in normal DL white window envelopes with a distinctive bulge where the card is. The game I get to play is "when the hell is my bloody pin that is sent separately ever going to arrive."
NatWest used to send me concealed stuff when I lived in Halls, but never when I had a 'proper' address.

I was very impressed to find Barclaycard have a system for getting your PIN both online and over the phone.
Pete wrote:
thegeek wrote:Mind you, you are in Dundee, aren't you?
You know, jokes aside, I've never had a major issue with Royal Mail, it's the couriers that are the problem round here.
That's pretty much everywhere I find. People moan about the Royal Mail, and many seem to believe that postmen see packets and birthday cards as fair game - they're just chatting shit though. My Dad's been a postman since 1998, and in the 4 or 5 cases where there's been problems, they always swiftly remove the perpetrator, who is then totally shunned by their colleagues...

... which makes it awkward when a month later that person walks up your path wearing a Yodel uniform.