Public Transport in your particular part of the region

cwathen

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 18 May, 2018 21.17 I take it SWR will get those 455s replaced with more ironing board sets?
Yep, yet more Aventras. Class 701 is already being knocked up at Bombardier right now and planned to go into service next year.

I wonder how many press releases about 'wide gangways' will crop up in their spiel about how brilliantly easy moving about on these new units will be, ignoring the fact that you can't move between units working in multiple on an Aventra, unlike the outgoing 455s which have end gangway connections.
Pete

We keep seeing random GWR (first branded) HSTs appearing in the sidings in Dundee, presumably being stored before refurbs. They often have one new ScotRail Intercity branded loco at one end and an old one at the other.

The ScotRail revamp of the Intercity fleet shows what an incredible train it is, really excited to have these rather than 190s to go to Aberdeen / Glasgow.

One thing that I wonder about is what's happening to the 225s? They're also in good nick having had a massive refurb by GNER.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

Pete wrote: Sat 19 May, 2018 10.52 We keep seeing random GWR (first branded) HSTs appearing in the sidings in Dundee, presumably being stored before refurbs. They often have one new ScotRail Intercity branded loco at one end and an old one at the other.

The ScotRail revamp of the Intercity fleet shows what an incredible train it is, really excited to have these rather than 190s to go to Aberdeen / Glasgow.
Out of interest, what level of refurb is done when they're turned out again? Is it just a rebranding, or are they replacing the manual doors with electric ones as GWR will be doing on the HST's they're keeping?
Critique

Yes, sliding doors are going on (they're needed for compliance soon aren't they). Along with the exterior work, the toilets are getting tanks, and both standard and first class are getting updated to some extent. Standard sees the biggest change with new seating and all, whilst they're keeping the new first class stuff GWR put in, apart from some cosmetic tweaks.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/netwo ... mage=26333
gottago

MarkAshley wrote: Sat 19 May, 2018 19.35
Critique wrote: Sat 19 May, 2018 18.19...the toilets are getting tanks...
It's 2018 and we're still shitting onto the tracks...
Genuinely staggering that this still exists.
WillPS

Critique wrote: Sat 19 May, 2018 18.19 Yes, sliding doors are going on (they're needed for compliance soon aren't they). Along with the exterior work, the toilets are getting tanks, and both standard and first class are getting updated to some extent. Standard sees the biggest change with new seating and all, whilst they're keeping the new first class stuff GWR put in, apart from some cosmetic tweaks.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/netwo ... mage=26333
Seating looks the same to me: https://traveluxblog.files.wordpress.co ... ting-6.jpg

Interestingly the FGW refurb was the only one to take the central supports out of the carriage.
thegeek

the RAIL article says new seats, a greater seat pitch, and more tables. GWR's high-density Mk3s really do suck a lot of the joy out of those trains, so it's good to see those mistakes being reversed.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Sun 20 May, 2018 01.37 Interestingly the FGW refurb was the only one to take the central supports out of the carriage.
the what now?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

See about half way down, the "dividers" with a glass panel in the middle?

Not present on GWR stock
thegeek

So the first day of Thameslink 2000 went well then .

Other news locally: Heathrow Connect is no more; the stopping services are now operated by TfL Rail. And the Overground station nearest my work got a fancy new building today. I think they had some weekend blockades last year to facilitate its construction, but as far as I know, it was still open last night with temporary scaffolding ramps leading to the platforms, and the new building opened earlier than usual for a Sunday today for extra traffic for a local half marathon.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Sun 20 May, 2018 18.14 So the first day of Thameslink 2000 went well then .

Other news locally: Heathrow Connect is no more; the stopping services are now operated by TfL Rail. And the Overground station nearest my work got a fancy new building today. I think they had some weekend blockades last year to facilitate its construction, but as far as I know, it was still open last night with temporary scaffolding ramps leading to the platforms, and the new building opened earlier than usual for a Sunday today for extra traffic for a local half marathon.
We've got nothing like that at Forest Hill, also on the London Overground network. Same old 70s pre-fab nastiness, but we do have a nice waiting room on Platform 1 which is at the far end of the platform where none of the trains stop at, except some Southern 10 car trains which also share the line.
TVF's London Lite.