The TSB & Lloyds Bank relaunch news and information board

WillPS

I would hazard a guess that's not intended as final. Would probably have been better doing nothing though!

I note those ghastly CGI deformities still dominate the entrance too...
rdobbie

Has anyone yet come across an example of a new TSB that was originally a Lloyds for many decades, complete with Lloyds branding that is best described as an architectural feature (or "hardwired branding" as I imagine some ponce in the industry might call it)? If so, how has it been dealt with?

I've seen a very old-looking former Lloyds which is now a TSB, and it's thrown up some problems for them. There's some ancient looking original gold leaf lettering saying "Lloyds Bank" on a window above the door, and a large ornate engraving of the black horse on the outside night safe. The solution - temporary I'm sure - has been to cover the offending items with strips of grey gaffer tape.

TSB will rightly be decried as vandals if they permanently remove these features, and they might even form part of the building's listed status. It will be interesting to see what they do about it in the long term.

I've seen a couple of Morrisons stores with large engraved plaques on prominent display by the front door that say "This Safeway store was opened by..." and they obviously took the decision to leave them untouched as they're an intrinsic part of the building rather than just signage.

But with TSB it's not going to be that simple to leave the Lloyds name/horse on display, as the brand lives on as a rival and not a mere relic of history. What to do?
ph2o

thegeek wrote:
Chris J wrote:What's the bet that the recently revamped branches like the one below, which feature the uppercase LLOYDS TSB logo and were presumably set up ready for 'TSB' to be simply swapped with 'BANK', will end up inconsistent from the off:

Eastfield finally got changed in the last week:

I particularly like what they've done with the Cashpoints:

If you look closely, you'll notice the previous all caps signage is actually very different to the new Lloyds logo. The 'Y' in particular looks very different. So by just painting green over the TSB sign means it has still kept the old logo with only the main signage being changed. It's a bit of a mess really.
WillPS

The form of the Y has changed and the arc of the A now droops slightly to make the brand friendlier for consumers.

The original form remains in the corporate logo:
JAS84

rdobbie wrote:Has anyone yet come across an example of a new TSB that was originally a Lloyds for many decades, complete with Lloyds branding that is best described as an architectural feature (or "hardwired branding" as I imagine some ponce in the industry might call it)? If so, how has it been dealt with?

I've seen a very old-looking former Lloyds which is now a TSB, and it's thrown up some problems for them. There's some ancient looking original gold leaf lettering saying "Lloyds Bank" on a window above the door, and a large ornate engraving of the black horse on the outside night safe. The solution - temporary I'm sure - has been to cover the offending items with strips of grey gaffer tape.

TSB will rightly be decried as vandals if they permanently remove these features, and they might even form part of the building's listed status. It will be interesting to see what they do about it in the long term.

I've seen a couple of Morrisons stores with large engraved plaques on prominent display by the front door that say "This Safeway store was opened by..." and they obviously took the decision to leave them untouched as they're an intrinsic part of the building rather than just signage.

But with TSB it's not going to be that simple to leave the Lloyds name/horse on display, as the brand lives on as a rival and not a mere relic of history. What to do?
Here in Hull there's a Lloyds that pre-merger was a TSB. It has a clock on an exterior wall, which has blue hour notches! Blue of course was TSB's colour. Fine when it was Lloyds TSB as they used both colours, but as the demerged Lloyds only uses green, it now looks out of place. At least there's no Hull Savings Bank (the original occupants) or TSB branding anywhere in sight. There's also a coffee shop nearby which used to be Yorkshire Bank, and that building has Yorkshire Penny Bank engraved in the stonework. And there's a Heron Frozen Foods shop, previously a Sainsbury's Local, which has a WJ monogram on a mosaic at the entrance. WJ for William Jackson, as it was originally a Jacksons store prior to Sainsbury's buying that chain. There must be hundreds, even thousands, of examples of shops displaying previous occupants' brands due to either listed status or actually being built into the building.
rdobbie

JAS84 wrote:There must be hundreds, even thousands, of examples of shops displaying previous occupants' brands due to either listed status or actually being built into the building.
True, but in your examples, and in other cases where I've seen old branding embedded into the architecture, the old brand is either defunct or has been acquired by the new occupant so poses no threat. Alternatively the old brand isn't in the same line of business as the current occupant (like your example of a coffee shop in a former Yorkshire Bank).

I'm not aware of any cases where the old branding is unremovable from the building and continues to represent a live brand which is also a direct rival of the new occupant. Like I said, I think TSB are still scratching their heads about what to do. Removing Lloyds insignias could mean desecrating a listed building, but leaving them there is a corporate nightmare, and on a practical level could be confusing to elderly customers.

I wonder if issues like this were ever taken into account when the Lloyds TSB estate was carved up between the two new brands? It would have made sense to respect the history of each branch, not only to avoid the abovementioned branding problems, but to provide continuity to the many older customers who banked with either Lloyds or TSB pre-merger and now find themselves unable to use the branch they originally chose to open their account with.
Beep

http://goo.gl/maps/hpKDD

This is now Lloyds branded and yes... the top is still TSB blue!
MarkAshley

thegeek wrote:
Chris J wrote:Image
Eastfield finally got changed in the last week:
Is it just a different camera/day/light levels/setup or is the light box around the poster actually a different hue?
Hairy.
WillPS

I think it is - take the lampshade and dark wall as a reference point in each. Same must be true of the lettering.
thegeek

nodnirG kraM wrote:Is it just a different camera/day/light levels/setup or is the light box around the poster actually a different hue?
I'm pretty sure it's just because of the different camera - and quite probably the HDR processing on my current phone.
tillyoshea

WillPS wrote:...the arc of the A now droops slightly to make the brand friendlier for consumers...
Because nothing says "friendly" like a drooping crossbar... :lol: