Yet another phone thread

Alexia

In other news, Nokia finally, almost, just about, taken over by Microsoft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27163667
Critique

After misinterpreting when my contract ends around 12 times, it appears I am finally at the end of my two years, and it is time to move on and upgrade.

I'm looking at the iPhone 5S, as ultimately as much as I have tried Android and fiddled with the latest and greatest Android devices, the cohesion across iOS in regards to design and the like is far superior to Android, and with an iPhone I know at the end of my two years I will still be receiving updates, whilst on Android I'd be very lucky to be getting them (My HTC One S is currently on Android 4.1, and around a year ago they confirmed that they wouldn't be updating it any more, despite being only a year and a half old, with the phone itself getting the 4.1 update after 4.2 had been released!).

The Carphone Warehouse is proving to have the best deals for O2, and I'm looking at a £33p/m deal, £29 upfront, for 2gb data and unlimited texts/calls. I would like to use my O2 Open discount on it to drive the cost down, as O2 *will* increase the price over the course of the contract, and I am stingy and want to reduce the damage the price hike will do. However, the deals on the Carphone Warehouse site are not available on the O2 site or in-store, and I can only apply my O2 open discount in store - does anyone have any ideas about how I could twist O2 to meet me somewhere on this, as there's no happy medium in regards to the monthly cost on the O2 website, with it either being high monthly, low/no upfront, or low monthly, and very high upfront? I'm already on O2 so could try and go down the retentions route, but have no idea what their retentions department is like.

Despite mainly looking at O2, I am considering other networks, as O2's signal at home is a crock of shit, and ideally would like to go for Three, as they will not boost my contract price and are much better on things like roaming and 0800 calls. However, they do not appear on either the Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U's respective websites, which is quite an odd move as whilst I'd like to consider them they've made it more difficult for me to do so! Meanwhile, for some reason I don't trust EE, as despite them being a decent network and still doing Orange Wednesdays and the like, they're obsessed with '4GEE' and they come across a bit smug to me. I've equally not really been considering Vodafone, for no real reason other than how they still have separate 3G/4G plans, and whilst most of the time I will be in an area without 4G, I would like the benefits of it when possible. Please feel free to dispell these misconceptions for me.

Any advice related to this appreciated.
woah

I've no experience with O2 - but if your signal is shite with them at home perhaps it's worth checking out the coverage in your area on other networks.

Three can offer you it at £32 a month (£40 upfront) but with 600 minutes rather than unlimited minutes and EE at £33 a month (£45 upfront) but with 1000 minutes . I think they're both respectable alternatives, there are obviously less minutes but if you don't use as many as 600/1000 in a month and the signal is stronger in your area for them I think that makes loads more sense. I'm with Three and I'm a happy customer - I've never had any issues with them whatsoever and as you say the free 0800 calls/roaming bundled in stuff is very handy. If you ignore EE's silly marketing they're fine too.
Critique

woah wrote: Three can offer you it at £32 a month (£40 upfront) but with 600 minutes rather than unlimited minutes and EE at £33 a month (£45 upfront) but with 1000 minutes.
Where have you found this deal, as I can't see it on Three's website? I barely ever use my minutes, so there would be no great loss in no longer having unlimited minutes!
GaryMcEwan

Just came across this thread via TV Forum. My partner works for Three in Glasgow on the Social Media team and I have to say they are in my opinion the best network I've been with so far and I have had my fair share of experiences with other networks.

So far, Three offer the new Sony Xperia Z2 and the HTC One M8 with 600 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited 4G data and free calls to 0800/0808/0500 numbers. This costs £38 a month with an upfront fee of £19.66.

An other alternative is Virgin Mobile with their VIP Tariff. You get unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, unlimited calls to 0800/0808/0500/0845/0870 numbers and free insurance is included. This is a fantastic deal if you are a Virgin Media customer.
Gary McEwan over @ TVF
Alexia

Any Moto E/G/X owners present? Any thoughts? Me and the boss will finally be trading in our bricks this week/month (both happy O2 PayG customers) and have been seduced by the Moto G's low price and Android 4.4. (We're both Nexus 7 owners) Seems a decent enough handset for what it is......

....Until I found out a 4G 8GB+microSD version is due to come out end of the month but for an extra 50 quid.

Anyone with any experience of Motorola and the Moto range?
thegeek

Alexia wrote:....Until I found out a 4G 8GB+microSD version is due to come out end of the month but for an extra 50 quid.

No, but I am very interested to hear from those who have. I've had to change my last few phones because the OS has overtaken the hardware (either in terms of storage or performance), and they've become infuriating to use. My Nexus 4 is still doing fine on both those counts, but the battery life is beginning to get a bit useless. a 4G Moto (especially if there's a Google Play edition) would do me nicely.
GaryMcEwan

thegeek wrote:
Alexia wrote:....Until I found out a 4G 8GB+microSD version is due to come out end of the month but for an extra 50 quid.

No, but I am very interested to hear from those who have. I've had to change my last few phones because the OS has overtaken the hardware (either in terms of storage or performance), and they've become infuriating to use. My Nexus 4 is still doing fine on both those counts, but the battery life is beginning to get a bit useless. a 4G Moto (especially if there's a Google Play edition) would do me nicely.
There is a Google Play Moto G, however it's not available in the UK. I've had both the Nexus 4 and 5 and got bored with them after a while. Have you ever considered Windows Phone? I've recently made the switch to the Lumia 1520 and I thought I would hate it, but I'm glad I ditched Android and went to Windows Phone.

The Lumia 1320 is a great budget 4G 6" device which comes with Office Mobile and the usual Microsoft products...
Gary McEwan over @ TVF
martindtanderson

The Moto G in the UK is not very different from a Google Play edition one. Motorola has put minimal customisation and tweaks into it thankfully. I have a SIM-free Moto G for messing about with, as well as my daily driver Lumia 1020 with the Windows Phone 8.1 preview on it.
GaryMcEwan

martindtanderson wrote:The Moto G in the UK is not very different from a Google Play edition one. Motorola has put minimal customisation and tweaks into it thankfully. I have a SIM-free Moto G for messing about with, as well as my daily driver Lumia 1020 with the Windows Phone 8.1 preview on it.
I've got the 8.1 Preview as well, Cortana isn't to bad. It even sings you a song if you ask it to. I'm looking at the OnePlus One device as my next purchase when they get released seeing as the specs within it are beyond good and at such a low price it would be mad not to get one...
Gary McEwan over @ TVF