Yet another phone thread

WillPS

cwathen wrote:
WillPS wrote:In my experience you have to actually complain in order to get a call back from complaints, not just text 1 in response to a post-call survey. Doing that will just give the operator a hard time at their next review.
I'm very comfortable with the operator getting a hard time at her next review actually. Having worked in retail environments of one kind or another for all of my working life, I am all too familiar with the frustration of having to explain to customers company policies which I don't personally agree with. But there are ways to go about it. Done correctly, you manage to make the customer blame the company but understand that it's not your fault personally. But the operator I got seemed incredulous that I wouldn't take her offer when I could get a better one else where and was bordering on getting quite rude in her closing speech - even cutting me off whilst I was talking to make her points. If she wants to live by the company flag, she can die by it too - maybe she'll learn that they won't thank her for it.
I didn't say that you're not entitled to do that, just that you were misguided in expecting that to have any real difference in your quest for a free phone.
marksi

Nexus 4 now £199 in the Google Play Store - ordered one today. Presumably the price cut is because a new version is coming out...
WillPS

Were Google not already subsidising the cost of that phone somewhat?
marksi

Yes.

And this is an issue because...?
WillPS

marksi wrote:Yes.

And this is an issue because...?
It isn't. Why are you assuming I was implying it was?
Jake

WillPS wrote:Were Google not already subsidising the cost of that phone somewhat?
I believe they were essentially selling it either at, or very slightly above, cost.
cwathen

Pete wrote:ask for your PAC code. That seemed to trigger the slightly better offers. Or just jump. I snapped with them in the end when they kept trying to convince me to pay an extra £5 a month to move to EE despite there being no 4G reception in Dundee at the moment.
Did the PAC code call and now have the PAC code, made no difference whatsoever. Got a much more pleasant person this time, whose final defence of the policy was to point out that he's on commission and as I'd said I would do the deal there and then if the fee was waived then if there was any way he could get it waived he would in order to get the sale.

Although having just seen an online deal I can get by moving to EE broadband if I'm an Orange customer, it does look like I'm going to be doing an embarrassing U-turn and coughing up the 30 quid after all, overall I'll still be better off.
Pete

cwathen wrote:Did the PAC code call and now have the PAC code, made no difference whatsoever.
The phone call with the better offer comes within the next 48 hours from an 0845 number (rather than the usual 07973)
"He has to be larger than bacon"
cwathen

Pete wrote:
cwathen wrote:Did the PAC code call and now have the PAC code, made no difference whatsoever.
The phone call with the better offer comes within the next 48 hours from an 0845 number (rather than the usual 07973)
Thanks, 48 hours waiting it is then
cwathen

Rather surprisingly, in the end they folded and I got what I wanted. Got a phone call from the 0845 number who assured me that there definitely was still a retentions team as he was part of it, just that it's smaller than before and you don't become a retentions customer just because you don't like the upgrade team's deals, you have to ask for a PAC code or have given notice to terminate. Very quickly got the fee waived in a roundabout way (I pay it, then get it credited back on this month's bill as a good will gesture so this month's bill will be £1.01), an extra 400 minutes and an extra gig of data thrown in.

So that's S4 for free, 1000 mins, unlimited texts, 3GB of data for £31 / month. Phone being delivered Wednesday. That'll do be nicely!
Critique

Does anyone know if O2 has a retentions department and if it's any good? My contract is up for expiry soon, and I usually take whatever they offer me, but in reality I've been with O2 for years, with four phones on my O2 account at one point, so I thought I might as well try and wangle a better deal for an iPhone 5 or something.