Yet another phone thread

WillPS

It's an interesting move. I don't see Amazon moving in to phone sales as being any more monopolistic than Tesco who did exactly the same thing years ago. Carphone Warehouse don't have a right to object to a competitor starting from the ground up.

As usual for O2 deals, nothing seems particularly cheap. They stock the relatively rare BlackBerry Passport; I got mine on release week for £119 (haggled down from £149) up front + 24 months @ £19.99 on EE from Carphone Warehouse - all their offers are considerably more expensive than that.

I regularly help my family and friends find cheap smartphone deals and I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a top deal with O2.
Alexia

Had to downgrade my Nexus 7 2012 WIFI back from Lollipop 5.1 to KitKat 4.4.4 this evening/morning. Just couldn't take how slow it had become. Whether it was because of the use of ART or just the bloatedness of the firmware, but it was not useable, enjoyable or responsive. Now it's been flashed with factory 4.4.4, it's amazing how much of a difference it's made - it's back to its old self - zippy, responsive and even charges a hell of a lot quicker.

Will be a shame if this is as far as my tablet will go Android version-wise, but given that the Nexus 7 was such a standout device, I think it's more a failing of the firmware than the hardware. And it's no biggy - 4.4.4 does everything I need it to anyway.
thegeek

I may have to do the same - it's a bit painful trying to do anything.

Meanwhile, my Moto G 4G still hasn't got Lollipop. I thought that buying a phone from a company owned by Google might have meant a speedy upgrade, but clearly not...
Alexia

Neither has mine.... But that could be a good thing.
thegeek

Apparently they're skipping 5.0 on some models and going straight to 5.1, which reportedly runs quite well. They're just taking their sweet time about it.
Critique

thegeek wrote:I thought that buying a phone from a company owned by Google might have meant a speedy upgrade, but clearly not...
I suspect that may have been the case before, but Motorala is now not owned by Google again, isn't it?
Martin Phillp

Critique wrote:
thegeek wrote:I thought that buying a phone from a company owned by Google might have meant a speedy upgrade, but clearly not...
I suspect that may have been the case before, but Motorala is now not owned by Google again, isn't it?
Motorola Mobility was sold to Lenovo last year.
TVF's London Lite.