Give an Answer, Leave a Question

Beep

:oops:

Q: What exactly did the old crunchy electronic noises mean when connecting to dialup - was it a simple case of the modem saying "I'm X logging in with Y" or was there more to it than that?
Alexia

Beep wrote::oops:

Q: What exactly did the old crunchy electronic noises mean when connecting to dialup - was it a simple case of the modem saying "I'm X logging in with Y" or was there more to it than that?
A :

Q: No...really.... What exactly did the old crunchy electronic noises mean when connecting to dialup - was it a simple case of the modem saying "I'm X logging in with Y" or was there more to it than that?
Sput

A: No no, it was more negotiatey than that: It was a "How fast will you go dear? Can you do this extra bit? No? Okay. And what language will we be speaking today?" type of conversation

Q: Will it make a difference if I use the expensive unleaded instead of the less expensive unleaded?
Knight knight
Critique

Sput wrote:Q: Will it make a difference if I use the expensive unleaded instead of the less expensive unleaded?
A: You'll probably only see a slight improvement in performance. I think it burns better, which means the engine has to put less effort in to burn the fuel and do the same work. It's advertised as being better at taking you longer distances, but I wouldn't say that the hike in price is worth it.

Q: How does the whole 'Emergency Calls only' on mobile phones work? If you don't have a proper signal on your network, is it connecting to another network in the area that provides a signal for emergency calls only, or is it more complicated? And why is phone reception so dodgy in some places? I was up near Cromer the other day and I had no signal for most of the time, but a five minute drive down the road picked up a full signal.
Alexia

Critique wrote:Q: How does the whole 'Emergency Calls only' on mobile phones work? If you don't have a proper signal on your network, is it connecting to another network in the area that provides a signal for emergency calls only, or is it more complicated? And why is phone reception so dodgy in some places? I was up near Cromer the other day and I had no signal for most of the time, but a five minute drive down the road picked up a full signal.
A: When my work's mobile which is ironically a Virgin phone doesn't have signal from Virgin, it indicates it has signal but says "Emergency calls only" - which leads me to believe that yes, it will connect to ANY mobile phone network for 999 / 112 calls. As for phone reception, a combination of geography, weather conditions and even buildings accounts for a lot of it. For instance, when I need to use the work phone to order stock from the next shorebase, I usually wait until Leominster, which has a perfect full 3G signal....EXCEPT when we fly past the set of car repair workshops on Worcester Road, when it drops out completely.

Q: Do you use 24 hour garages for things other than necessary petrol/diesel? For instance, have you ever woken up in the middle of the night with a sudden urge for Bacon Crispies and Frijj Strawberry and gone and got some?
Dr Lobster*

A: Yes,many years ago, I used to go out and get smokes and beer. These days, its just somewhere to get emergency supplies like milk and bread... I don't use it very often, but I do use our local garage occasionally.

Q: What do you think the next massive "harry potter beating" film franchise will be?
Neil Jones

Dr Lobster* wrote:A: Yes,many years ago, I used to go out and get smokes and beer. These days, its just somewhere to get emergency supplies like milk and bread... I don't use it very often, but I do use our local garage occasionally.

Q: What do you think the next massive "harry potter beating" film franchise will be?
A: 50 Shades of Grey: The Film? ;)

Q: Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight?
Sput

madmusician wrote: Q. Is it true that it can be 'too cold to snow'? That's what my grandparents were claiming this weekend, but I smell BS...
A: No, Just too dry. SCIENCE FACT: About 90% of the volume of rain falling on Earth starts off as snow - it just melts on the way out of the cloud.

Q: What's the origin of the salute? It's really odd.
Knight knight
Alexia

A: It dates back to soldiers / knights in armour lifting up their visors to reveal their face to a commanding officer. There are different types of salutes - the Nazi straight-arm salute, whilst apparently having its origins in ancient Rome, was also used by Americans when reciting the pledge of allegiance.
The Polish salute, as any QI viewer knows, is performed using only two fingers, apparently after a Polish war hero who had most of his hand blown off.
Whilst Army and Air Force salutes involve the palm facing forwards showing no concealed weapons, Royal Navy salutes involve the palm of the hand facing down, away from the commanding officer. This was to conceal any dirt, muck or grime on the hand picked up from the day-to-day ship environment. My grandfather told me once it was also so that they could receive paychecks and tuck them away in the ball of their hand between their thumb and palm and still present an elegant uncluttered salute.

Q: When will Benjamin F Shatliff, twice candidate for the county council elections (defeated), Hon Sec British Legion Earls Court Branch, Treasurer of the Darts Team and the Outings Committee*, learn how to design a website?

* Bonus Question : What's the reference here?
barcode

I dare say never, since he has more important political work to deal with. Of course this does not change the fact he could asked someone to help improve the website. As long as said website is filled with details why bother? Since it's better than a flashy website with no substance.

Q: USA spends 16%of its gpd on health care more than any other country in the world yet was very little to show for it. Apart from medicare etc... My question is this, where does most of the money disappear to?
barcode

I withdraw the last question since no one can answer it.

NEW Q: why cant we design a machine to move the jet stream north from April - October, if the stream is further south than it should be