My Lovely Horse Lasagne

Gavin Scott
Admin

So, hearing all about Findus frozen products, I'm reminded about those delicious Crispy Pancakes with the molten-hot chicken and mushroom filling.

I went out to a big Tesco to buy some and can't see any products in the freezer section with a Findus logo.

Surely an over-reaction?

I also definitely think these foods shouldn't be getting incinerated and such. Terrible waste.

What say you?

Answers on a Crispy Pancake.
Jovis

It's bad because it has been mislabelled and because of the potential other criminal activity. It's also a worry that it might be harmful, though this seems unlikely.

Apart from that though, I see nothing wrong with eating it, and certainly no need to throw it away if it is safe.

Sorry for the lack of detail, but I feel too lethargic to write anything other than a summary.
lukey

Similarly, all this fuss made me recall just how *vile* I found crispy pancakes as a kid. Despite it being about 15 years since I was last near one, I still can't forget that horrid slimy layer of what apparently was meant to be pancake. Then the treat of the filling - some variation on molten sick. Urgh urgh urgh. I hope you find them somewhere - mostly in the hope my anti-nostalgia can be vindicated...
barcode

It was the Bacon/ham version I used to enjoy as a kid, Im sure there were like a yorkie IE had a better tase years ago, when there not bad. I've not had any in years, but 18 months ago just to try and yuck!

joke on facebook
scottishtv

You're just looking in the wrong place:

Hmm. I loved those beef Crispy Pancakes as a kid (my brother ate the vile cheese ones). I saw them in the shops a wee while ago and did wonder what sort of beef was in them, and it crossed my mind I might contract mad cow disease one day. At least I can sleep easy on that front.

Now you've mentioned this, I would kinda like to try them again. If you still struggle to find them, you can always try and make your own like Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall did. Fillings are a bit too posh for me though.
Gavin Scott
Admin

That's a hideous box design.
all new Phil

It amazes me that people buy any of the Findus products. They are all things I would never consider putting in my shopping trolley.
Nick Harvey
God

There are two issues here.

Firstly, food labelling. If something's made of horse, then simply say so. If it's made of beef, then similarly, say so. Please don't lie.

Secondly, the British loathing of eating horse. (You're not going to expect this comment from Nick Harvey.) In Britain, for some obscure reason, we don't enjoy eating horse. Horse is just another meat for heaven's sake, just get on and eat it. The French, in particular, love it. Other countries eat it quite happily, whether they love it or just tolerate it, I'm not sure. Either way, it's just meat. Contrary to what the Daily Mail might say, it isn't actually going to poison you. If you've paid 29p, £1.99 or £8.99, I don't buy processed food so don't know the price, for your Findus Lasagne because you wanted one, then eat the bloody thing for goodness sake. Yes, you've been ripped off because, technically, you should have paid a quarter of the price, but it isn't going to kill you, so get on with it.
Gavin Scott
Admin

all new Phil wrote:It amazes me that people buy any of the Findus products. They are all things I would never consider putting in my shopping trolley.
Mostly fish they sell, isn't it? I don't eat fish at all, so its not a brand I've looked at for 25 years.

I went on to their website to see their product range, but the site only shows their press release.
all new Phil

Fish, ready meals; basically slightly higher-priced versions of the own-brand stuff supermarkets do well with. Maybe my tastes are a little more refined ;)
Gavin Scott
Admin

Nick Harvey wrote:There are two issues here.

Firstly, food labelling. If something's made of horse, then simply say so. If it's made of beef, then similarly, say so. Please don't lie.

Secondly, the British loathing of eating horse. (You're not going to expect this comment from Nick Harvey.) In Britain, for some obscure reason, we don't enjoy eating horse. Horse is just another meat for heaven's sake, just get on and eat it. The French, in particular, love it. Other countries eat it quite happily, whether they love it or just tolerate it, I'm not sure. Either way, it's just meat. Contrary to what the Daily Mail might say, it isn't actually going to poison you. If you've paid 29p, £1.99 or £8.99, I don't buy processed food so don't know the price, for your Findus Lasagne because you wanted one, then eat the bloody thing for goodness sake. Yes, you've been ripped off because, technically, you should have paid a quarter of the price, but it isn't going to kill you, so get on with it.
I agree on both points. Full disclosure is the name of the game, even if its to say "mechanically recovered beef fragments".

Horse, by all accounts, is jolly good protein, and it must taste fine because its doubtless been in the UK food chain for months and months before someone got round to DNA testing.

Its the uncertainty about why people lied about its supply that makes one wonder if its been from diseased sources or something grotty - but again, as we haven't seen lots of illnesses, one could reasonably suppose that's not the case. It must simply be less expensive for the distributors.

All this said - this is a story the media will feast on for weeks, so its worth keeping a close eye on all the other important stories that are quietly buried at the moment.