Coffee

Critique

I have a Dolce Gusto, and I'm quite impressed with the thing. It makes a lot of things, and they generally taste quite nice. If it's only £39, I'd go for it.

Generally, I don't drink that much coffee. During the day, I'll get a Starbucks or a Costa, and then at home I usually have a Latte or a Hot Chocolate during the evening.

And I don't like tea.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

I didn't drink coffee until about 3 or 4 years ago. We were then treated to free costa coffee at work and that helped me acquire the taste (it's slowly gone downhill through Starbucks and now some unbranded horribly bitter coffee beans).

I bought the same espresso machine as Dr L, having been advised by a colleague that a coffee machine was a must before having kids. My favourite blend for the machine is Lavazza and preferably the black bag. I like the fact that the machine is manual and my coffee making skills have massively improved alongside my appreciation of it. Not managed to get my head around latte art yet though.

I've also got into filter coffee now too and really enjoy the different roasts and blends. Taylor's of Harrogate do a good selection that are often on offer in the supermarkets - Café Brasilia and After Dark are particularly nice.

We also stumbled across Kenco Millicano recently. I really don't like instant coffee normally, but the fine coffee grounds in this instant give it much more of an authentic taste (although if you put it in a flask and then go out walking, it needs up-ending to give it a good mix or else you get something not dissimilar to brown water).
Snarky
Lorns

I gave up coffee years ago, with banging headaches as a serious withdrawl sympytom.I now drink PG. I love tea
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Critique

nodnirG kraM wrote:
Critique wrote:I have a Dolce Gusto ... If it's only £39, I'd go for it.
Presumably these things are priced as loss-leaders like printers and hoovers, and they make the money back on the capsules?
I have the Piccolo too, and when I got it back in 2011, it was closer to £100 in price than £39. But yes, the capsules are probably where they make the money. They might seem cheap, but 16 capsules doesn't make 16 drinks, as it takes two capsules to make one drink, so you're only getting 8 drinks per box. And I think there might be a few that take three different capsules to make one drink, so you'll only be getting 6 drinks to a box. Therefore, yes, the capsules are what make the money, I reckon.
DVB Cornwall

Confession time .... I have not been out this evening, but have just now indulged in a mug of the stuff.

Time for bed. Hopefully without Zebedee effects. Night.
WillPS

DVB Cornwall wrote:Hopefully without Zebedee effects
You dirty old man!
Dr Lobster*

the other great thing about having a coffee machine that does steamed milk is that you can make a awesome hot chocolate.
Pete

oh yes, that is all I use my stolen espresso machine for. If you get the little balls of chocolate that melt in the milk they're the fabbest
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Lorns

Pete wrote:oh yes, that is all I use my stolen espresso machine for. If you get the little balls of chocolate that melt in the milk they're the fabbest
Really tell me more. I might buy an espresso machine just for hot chocolate. That sounds well lush.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Pete

Lorns wrote:
Pete wrote:oh yes, that is all I use my stolen espresso machine for. If you get the little balls of chocolate that melt in the milk they're the fabbest
Really tell me more. I might buy an espresso machine just for hot chocolate. That sounds well lush.
Indeed, steam the milk (USEFUL FACT: Steamed milk doesn't get a skin, unlike microwaved milk. Dunno why not. I blame witchcraft) and then put the chocolate drops in.

They tend to be called "hot chocolate drops" or something similar. Sainsburys used to do some Taste The Difference ones but I've not seen them in my branch for a while.

I SAID I'VE NOT SEEN THEM FOR A WHILE WILLPS, PLEASE CHECK THE SYSTEM WHEN YOU'RE AT WORK THANK YOU.

but yes they are magnificent.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote:I SAID I'VE NOT SEEN THEM FOR A WHILE WILLPS, PLEASE CHECK THE SYSTEM WHEN YOU'RE AT WORK THANK YOU.

but yes they are magnificent.
Haven't you heard? WillPS now works for PineGreen Web Development, the finest web developer there is.