Crying over buying milk

all new Phil

We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
WillPS

There's all sort of talk about CostCutter becoming affiliated with Morrisons when their agreement with Nisa ends.
JAS84

all new Phil wrote:We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
Eh? £1 usually only gets you a 2 pint.
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:
all new Phil wrote:We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
Eh? £1 usually only gets you a 2 pint.
Never seen Creamfields (Tesco) or Meadow Park (Morrisons) then? They're £1 for 4 pints.
Nick Harvey
God

Agreed, Bilky. 4 pints is £1.17 at the local corner shop, which is expensive. Nearer to the £1.00 mark in the supermarkets.

Glad I don't live in Hull. Wouldn't be able to afford it.
JAS84

Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
all new Phil

No. It is definitely between £1 and £1.20 for a 4-pinter.
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
Asda charge 49p for 1pt, 89p for 2pt, £1 for 4pt and £1.48 for 6pt. This is fairly standard; you pay a lot more per 100ml with the smaller sizes, just as you pay a lot more per 100ml when purchasing a can or 500ml bottle of Coke over purchasing a 2l bottle.

Frankly this is inane as shit, not to mention off-topic.
Pete

I feel this deserves a thread of its own.

I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.

Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
You do realise that I go to university in Hull, the location where you live, and can readily buy 4 pints of milk for £1? Tesco does its Creamfields milk at £1 for 4 pints, Heron does the slightly worse offer of 2 litres for £1, Sainsbury's Local on my street does 4 pints of 1% milk for £1.

Before all this cheap milk from supermarkets, our local shops got in on the cheap bread and milk act, selling 2 litres for £1 or 99p.

My advice to JAS84 - stop buying your milk in pint bottles.
Pete wrote:I feel this deserves a thread of its own.
How nice of you.
Pete wrote: I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.
Have you ever noticed that the Tesco Pure milk always seems to have a shorter date than the Cravendale? Is the date shortened on purpose so people don't stop buying Cravendale?
Pete wrote: Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
I can't talk about that, but I can tell you about the glass bottles of milk that Heron sold until very recently - and may still sell.
WillPS

Pete wrote:I feel this deserves a thread of its own.

I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.

Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
Oh goody!

Can we add eggs in to the mix? I bought 6 of Tesco's free range medium eggs in Nottingham which cost me £1.48 - but yesterday I purchased 15 similar eggs from Aldi in Sheffield for the price of £2.19. Obviously my mind began melting such was the levity of the bargain, but then I remembered I'm in a different part of the country where obviously the price of such goods radically changes, and it was of course nothing to do with the quantity I was purchasing. I dread to think how much such things cost in Hull.