Crying over buying milk

all new Phil
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 00.04
Location: Next door to Hell

We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
Thought this was a nice forum, clearly not.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 2084
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

There's all sort of talk about CostCutter becoming affiliated with Morrisons when their agreement with Nisa ends.
Image
JAS84
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

all new Phil wrote:We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
Eh? £1 usually only gets you a 2 pint.
bilky asko
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 19.48

JAS84 wrote:
all new Phil wrote:We have a Costcutter near to us, and I always enjoy the irony that a shop called Costcutter charges £1.79 for a 4 pint bottle of milk that costs between £1 and £1.20 elsewhere.
Eh? £1 usually only gets you a 2 pint.
Never seen Creamfields (Tesco) or Meadow Park (Morrisons) then? They're £1 for 4 pints.
Image
User avatar
Nick Harvey
God
Posts: 4027
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 22.26
Location: Deepest Wiltshire
Contact:

Agreed, Bilky. 4 pints is £1.17 at the local corner shop, which is expensive. Nearer to the £1.00 mark in the supermarkets.

Glad I don't live in Hull. Wouldn't be able to afford it.
JAS84
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri 12 Aug, 2011 10.23
Location: Hull, UK

Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
all new Phil
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 00.04
Location: Next door to Hell

No. It is definitely between £1 and £1.20 for a 4-pinter.
Thought this was a nice forum, clearly not.
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 2084
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

JAS84 wrote:Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
Asda charge 49p for 1pt, 89p for 2pt, £1 for 4pt and £1.48 for 6pt. This is fairly standard; you pay a lot more per 100ml with the smaller sizes, just as you pay a lot more per 100ml when purchasing a can or 500ml bottle of Coke over purchasing a 2l bottle.

Frankly this is inane as shit, not to mention off-topic.
Image
User avatar
Pete
Posts: 7235
Joined: Fri 15 Aug, 2003 13.36
Location: Dundee

I feel this deserves a thread of its own.

I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.

Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat 08 Nov, 2008 19.48

JAS84 wrote:Usually, it's about 50p for 1 pint, so if you're getting 4 for £1, they're clearly undercharging. Maybe there's a lot of competition in your area. I'd expect to pay less for a 4 pint than for four 1 pints, but not by that amount. £1.50 sounds about right.
You do realise that I go to university in Hull, the location where you live, and can readily buy 4 pints of milk for £1? Tesco does its Creamfields milk at £1 for 4 pints, Heron does the slightly worse offer of 2 litres for £1, Sainsbury's Local on my street does 4 pints of 1% milk for £1.

Before all this cheap milk from supermarkets, our local shops got in on the cheap bread and milk act, selling 2 litres for £1 or 99p.

My advice to JAS84 - stop buying your milk in pint bottles.
Pete wrote:I feel this deserves a thread of its own.
How nice of you.
Pete wrote: I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.
Have you ever noticed that the Tesco Pure milk always seems to have a shorter date than the Cravendale? Is the date shortened on purpose so people don't stop buying Cravendale?
Pete wrote: Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
I can't talk about that, but I can tell you about the glass bottles of milk that Heron sold until very recently - and may still sell.
Image
User avatar
WillPS
Posts: 2084
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 18.32
Location: Carlton
Contact:

Pete wrote:I feel this deserves a thread of its own.

I only buy Cravendale / Tesco's own version depending on which is on offer. Current costs Cravendale 2 for £3 and Tesco 3 or £3.50 meaning tesco's 2l version works out at £1.17.

Also can we discuss the old co-operative trick of using litres for a long time before anyone else put pricing it as if its pints therefore giving everyone slightly less milk than expected?
Oh goody!

Can we add eggs in to the mix? I bought 6 of Tesco's free range medium eggs in Nottingham which cost me £1.48 - but yesterday I purchased 15 similar eggs from Aldi in Sheffield for the price of £2.19. Obviously my mind began melting such was the levity of the bargain, but then I remembered I'm in a different part of the country where obviously the price of such goods radically changes, and it was of course nothing to do with the quantity I was purchasing. I dread to think how much such things cost in Hull.
Image
Please Respond