Long forgotten brands that sank without trace

WillPS

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shopping ... tore=Tesco

Silver Spoon is still available at Tesco it would seem, and "half spoon" is still widely available. Tate & Lyle is the product of sugar beet, rather than the sugar cane of Silver Spoon - perhaps production costs of cane sugar have risen disproportionately to beet sugar?
Alexia

I had a can of Sunkist the other day. Immediately felt like I was back in the 80s.
scottishtv

Far from sunk, but was wondering if this was ever actually McVitie's logo?

Yes, I realise this is quite a heartless post given the article is about job losses.
james2001

I seem to remember that being the logo that was used when they were using a big "McV" logo on their products during the early 00s. Don't think it lasted particularly long.
scottishtv

I love this site. Previous Google searches threw up nothing except varients of the logo in all capital letters, but using the McV thing you mentioned (which passed me by completely), I found an article stating the logo ran from 2002-2005. And below from a TV ad at the time:

Alexia

"Cordoned it off they have.... Top end of Piper Street.... past McVitie's, up to the bank on Birdall Lane. There's talk it's all going to be one way now."
Critique

I think what the McVities brand applies to could be shrinking at the moment, as I've noticed a couple of products like Mini Cheddars (and just Cheddars) are now 'Jacob's' instead.
JAS84

United Biscuits has always owned McVitie's (since McVitie and Price merged with another company to form UB in 1948), while they only bought Jacob's in 2004, decades after Cheddars and Mini Cheddars had launched. Since Cheddars are a cracker, they probably just decided it was a better fit.
Philip

scottishtv wrote:I love this site. Previous Google searches threw up nothing except varients of the logo in all capital letters, but using the McV thing you mentioned (which passed me by completely), I found an article stating the logo ran from 2002-2005. And below from a TV ad at the time:

Was it really only 2002 that that logo was introduced? Looks like something from the 90s, or even the 80s. I remember the McV branding well, never understood why they decided it made sense to have both the full name and the McV logo on the same packaging though.
WillPS

I think it was intentionally retro, even for the time. Was a strange marketing idea (from the same era as the whole Consignia thing) - it was as if they decided that "McVities" was too much of a mouthful or something, but then "McVities McV" is both more of a mouthful and sounds stupider.