Long forgotten brands that sank without trace

Pete

rdobbie wrote:
James L H wrote:Whilst having a browse of said Tesco on Streetview, I was rather suprised to find that some of the images which are online were actually took whilst the store was in use.
Some interesting images there.

I've never seen a closed down Tesco petrol station before (Streetview). Since it's on the main road and not inside the retail park, I'm surprised they didn't keep it going and extend the shop into a Tesco Express format, considering the way Tesco usually snap up bits of land like that.
Let me explain.

If you look at the above map. The Tesco we're discussing, Tesco Lochee [Blue, 1] is very close (0.9 miles to be exac) to a very large Extra, Tesco Kingsway [Red, 2]. There was also another superstore at South Road [Yellow - 3] which was inside a former B&Q.

Tesco then decided to demolish South Road and build a massive Extra on South Road [Turquoise, 4] with a ground floor car park and travelators. Given the two massive extras so close to one another (the third Extra being on the waterfront two miles away) said Tesco was surplus to requirements / a potential planning problem hence it being disposed of.

Naturally Kingsway also has a petrol station.

Course this was years ago. Since then Tesco have opened three, yes three, Tesco expresses all within the city centre and all surrounding a big Tesco Metro and a mile down the road from the previously mentioned Riverside Extra. The below map shows all the Tescos we currently have.

"He has to be larger than bacon"
Neil Jones

nwtv2003 wrote:To mention other defunct brands I can think of... Andy's Records, Rabbit, The Link, Music Zone Trade Direct, Big W, Our Price to name a few.
Our Price was firstly eaten by WH Smith, then introduced to Virgin who ate Our Price, then spat them out to another company who promptly went under.

The Link appears to still under the ownership, albeit closed, of Dixons Store Group.

Big W were the out of town Woolworths stores owned by the same parent company. As we know, Woolworths was the first of the major players to go out of business in the recession.
Pete

Ooh how about MVC. I remember you had to get an MVC card and saved about 20% on everything.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Alexia

Aww.

*nostalgic sigh*

I miss MVC.
Jamesypoo

Pete wrote:Since then Tesco have opened three, yes three, Tesco expresses all within the city centre and all surrounding a big Tesco Metro and a mile down the road from the previously mentioned Riverside Extra. The below map shows all the Tescos we currently have.
Pfft. We've got 16 in Norwich (number 16 has since been built).

DJDave

Aww MVC that was another of Woolworths but I think it was bought out before they went under? We had an Our Price in the 90's it was ting but great, then they opened a Virgin (was not big enough to be called a Megastore) but that went in the early 90s when Primark did not re-new the lease and it then knocked though, they did the same to Woolies as that was next door too.
rob

Alexia wrote:Aww.

*nostalgic sigh*

I miss MVC.
Same here. I loved MVC. The one we had in Basingstoke is now a 99p shop.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
scottishtv

If it's Top Trumps Tesco you're after, then I can't resist:

Going back to restaurants, I recall Happy Eaters being everywhere when we went on family holidays by road "down South" in the late 80s. I never really liked them as much as the Little Chef, but their logo - a character about to stick their finger down their throat - amused me and my brother.
Sput

Oh my yes
Also, I just remembered Happy Shopper existed. No relation.
Knight knight
cdd

Four pages and no-one's mentioned:
Alexia

cdd wrote:Four pages and no-one's mentioned:
Never heard of it.

What is it?