The Olympics

Dr Lobster*

the torch relay has been making it's way across the eastern region over the last few days.

am i the only person in the world that can't see what all the fuss is about?

talk about a load of old shite. a random old women in a white tracksuit with a flame held aloft? no thanks.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I agree. Or I did until it went through my old town then I thought "ooh".

I'm pathetic.
Philip

Dr Lobster* wrote:talk about a load of old shite. a random old women in a white tracksuit with a flame held aloft? no thanks.
Actually she has been chosen by someone they know, voted to be a torchbearer by the local community, because they have made an influence on people's lives.

More than just a "random old women" IMO.
bilky asko

Dr Lobster* wrote:the torch relay has been making it's way across the eastern region over the last few days.

am i the only person in the world that can't see what all the fuss is about?

talk about a load of old shite. a random old women in a white tracksuit with a flame held aloft? no thanks.
The point is, now matter how much of an anticlimax it was once you'd seen it, or no matter how little you cared, it's something you can claim as a momentous event to future generations, intertwined with stories of only 3/4/5 TV channels, the days before the World Wide Web, and the days when bestiality was illegal.
lukey

Philip wrote:
Dr Lobster* wrote:talk about a load of old shite. a random old women in a white tracksuit with a flame held aloft? no thanks.
Actually she has been chosen by someone they know, voted to be a torchbearer by the local community, because they have made an influence on people's lives.

More than just a "random old women" IMO.
Which was pretty much the same criteria for nominating your mum to get an award on Live & Kicking, and still doesn't escape the cynical "let's have a big inclusive-checkbox-ticked travelling John o'Groats-is-part-of-the-Olympics-tooooo! wank" reality.
bilky asko

The idea of an "Olympic legacy" is utterly laughable. You're genuinely going to bore your grandkids with tales of how once upon a time an old woman carried a flame through your town? That's the most exciting tale you have to tell your kids? Wow.
I'm pretty sure the Olympic Legacy is more about the physical structures left behind than the memories.
Ronnie Rowlands

Fuck the Olympics in all five of its rings.
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

But Ronnie can punch through steel so they lose anyway.
stu

I thought it was quite cool actually - The Lloyds coach took everyone's image for a facebook thing and I was that close to getting a free bottle of pop/tambourine from the coke coach.

I was at the end of my particular route and well, blink and you miss it - the flame being whisked away in yet another coach, all with seemingly military precision
WillPS

It's complete bollocks, the whole thing.

£20bn or so, this is costing us. Just remember this when somebody tries to make out HS2 is expensive.
bilky asko

bilky asko wrote:
The idea of an "Olympic legacy" is utterly laughable. You're genuinely going to bore your grandkids with tales of how once upon a time an old woman carried a flame through your town? That's the most exciting tale you have to tell your kids? Wow.
I'm pretty sure the Olympic Legacy is more about the physical structures left behind than the memories.
A bit like the venue for the 1908 Olympics which... oh wait it was demolished. Perhaps like the venues used in the 1948 Olymp... oh wait no, only one of them left. Still, at least they're not going to demolish the 2012 stadiu... what, they've discussed it already?

Brilliant.
Oh yes, there's only one new venue, I forgot. Oh, wait...
Gavin Scott
Admin

Legacy shmegacy.

I was a performer in the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

At best I've got a semi-interesting story to tell and some YouTube clips. Life changing? Not really. The Commonwealth pool in Edinburgh, built for the occassion, hasn't managed to survive the 25 years without having a million pound refit, ahead of the 2014 Games which return to Scotland (Glasgow).

And even then the new roof leaked this week with the torrential rain.

Now shurrup and watch my YouTube clips. A lollipop to the person who spots me in the crowd.