Scottish independence

Charlie Wells

Alexia wrote:Perhaps he would have set up a public body that would have actually done something to reign in the press in Scotland, rather than allow it to be the bilious pit of hatred, scaremongering, invasiveness and tittle-tattle it is now in GB.
It's noted in the most recent Private Eye that Alex Salmond and his ministers met Rupert Murdock and his executives no fewer than 37 times between May 2007 and March 2014. The number of meetings suggests that it's unlikely an effective public body would have been set up, as it's evident that the SNP were in regular contact with them. (Before anyone says it I'm fully aware that Labour & Conservatives have also met Murdock & co many times over the years.) The article also notes that conveniently there have been no disclosures since March.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
barcode

One has to wonder if the new queen of the SNP will wont to have any contact with Murdoch, she is left of Alex and its knows she need to steady the ship.
Pete

barcode wrote:Was it Rigged?
No it wasn't you bloody idiot. Some people are just incredibly bitter that they lost.

Look if you voted yes then fair dos. If you believe that the No campaign scared people into voting yes, then fair dos. If you believe it's a disgrace that all the oldies voted no but the younger ones voted yes then that's a potentially intersting can of worms to answer.

But given that things like that yes ballot on a no table were even explained as perfectly normal by Yes Dundee themselves. None of the yes campaign have questioned the result. They've questioned the reasons people voted no, but there is no sensible dispute that the vote was fair.

People in Dundee had a rally the other day to demand a recount in Dundee.

THE YES VOTE WON IN DUNDEE!!! They want a recount, for a vote that they won!!

In fact not only did they win, but they had the highest number of yes votes in the whole country.

That is just plain and simple moronity. They're bitter they didn't win and therefore are coming up with conspiracies.

It's the same mentality that causes people to blame polish builders for the fact they can't get a job despite not looking for one and thus think UKIP are the answer.

Urgh.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
james2001

Does anyone else find this "the 45" thing completely embarrassing? To me it's just a tag that shows people that can't accept democratic decision- certainly if you look at the Twitter and Facebook feeds of anyone with a "45" in their icon, it's usually full of petulant ranting and sulking about not winning the referendum- some of which is horribly bile and hate-filled. Ironic really that many of them are the same people who before the referendum were telling us it was all about democracy, but when democracy speaks on the volume it did here, they refuse to accept it because it's not the result they wanted. Some people have been taking the result with all the dignity of a 5 year old that's been refused chocolate- and that seems to include Alex Salmond himself.
Alexia

Seems to me the best way to perpetuate a movement on social media. 10% is not a convincing enough gap to kill off the indy debate completely. Remember it used to be in the 65/35 range. I'd find it embarrassing if they had badges that said 20, 30, 35 etc. But 45 is a decent enough number.

Let's put it this way - it's a higher percentage than pollsters say will vote for UKIP, and they're not even anywhere near real power yet, nor has it been tested at the ballot box in a meaningful way (Euro Elections don't count). And yet I see people on Failbook and Twatter proudly having that purple and yellow wankstain all over their pages. You want to talk embarrassing and pathetic? You want to talk about people not accepting democracy? Try that shower of shite. The People's Army representing the Silent Majority? Purleese. The Silent Majority are Quite Happy With Things As They Are thankyou, because the latest polling show non-UKIP parties to be garnering 74% of the vote.
WillPS

I give it until Hallowe'en when they'll all be distracted by that display of idiocy.
scottishtv

Pete wrote:If you believe it's a disgrace that all the oldies voted no but the younger ones voted yes then that's a potentially intersting can of worms to answer.
It's an interesting one that. Salmond telling Sky News yesterday that these people need to "look long and hard at themselves in the mirror". I've also seen the stat about 16-17 year olds all voting yes, despite the sample size being only 14 individuals. I think there is something ironic about a Tory Lord's opinion poll now being used by Salmond and friends to try and partly justify their defeat.

The other one that gets me is the line about lots of people voting no switched at the last minute upon hearing about the 'more powers' rapid timetable offered by Brown and the No campaign. Well, the same Lord Ashocroft poll showed the vast majority of No voters had already made up their mind either over a year ago or over 6 months ago (about 75%).

Salmond now presenting himself as a defender of the 'No' voter is pitiful. He needs to go away and think about why Scots rejected his ideology and how his Scottish Government was unable to make a credible case for independence. Even the watered-down mish-mash version that they focus group tested to death was rejected.

As for declaring UDI if the SNP get enough seats in a future parliamentary election, well... that's just embarrassing.

Finally, apparently a lot of "the 45" are now joining the SNP. I suppose it's only natural that people who feel aggrieved are finding a home in the party of grievance. Quite how the SNP will position themselves in the future will be interesting though, given the leadership don't want to revisit the independence question - they've now just nearly doubled their party membership in a few days with people that do. I'm sure they will just take the money for a while until they cancel their subs.
barcode

WillPS wrote:I give it until Hallowe'en when they'll all be distracted by that display of idiocy.
I dont think that will be the case, and its still possible DC could become even weaker because of this.
scottishtv

barcode wrote:I dont think that will be the case, and its still possible DC could become even weaker because of this.
What the hell are you on about?

David Cameron, weaker in Scotland? How? But anyway, I doubt he cares. I don't care for the Conservatives, but he's playing a blinder by attempting to bring the English votes for English matters issue into this same 'more powers for Scotland' thing. It's clear he's out to try and nobble future Labour majority votes at Westminster.

If anyone is weakened it could be Ed and the Labour Party, as they have some work to do getting people who voted Yes in their Scottish heartlands back on board before next year's UK Parliament election, and could potentially have to make big power concessions by having their Scottish MPs prevented from helping them reach a majority on contentious issues affecting England and Wales in the future.

As for Johann Lamont, she must know she can't stay in charge of the Scottish Labour Party into a 2016 Scottish election, we might as well just not bother having the vote. She's done a really bad job over the last few years, and was practically non-existent during the referendum campaign.
Alexia

scottishtv wrote:Quite how the SNP will position themselves in the future will be interesting though, given the leadership don't want to revisit the independence question
Only the current leadership don't want to revisit the independence question - Salmond made it quite clear it was his own personal view there wouldn't be another indyref for 20 years - however the new leadership may have other views in a few years, depending on how this Home Rule thingy goes.