Scottish independence

Critique

barcode wrote:
Critique wrote:I shall drag this over here to stop derailing the thread on TVf further:
barcode wrote:The only way for the National lottery to even be possible would be a currency union ;)
I'm not 100% sure but surely this wouldn't be the case? The EuroMillions prize isn't paid out in £s to winners in all other participating countries, is it? So surely the same would apply here and the prize would be converted at the exchange rate from the GBP to the Scottish currency?
That goes agaist the white paper view the cost of a ticket would stay the same, we could end up paying £3 Scottish pound to £2 English pound. Also the Euro doesn't pay out money to good causes etc does it?
Yes but if inflation meant £3 Scottish = £2 English the price hasn't actually gone up, has it? And if wages rose with inflation and prices went up due to inflation even know everyone is paying more they're actually not paying any more than they would of previously? A lot of hypotheticals there I know.

In the UK at least around 30% of EuroMillions revenue goes to good causes.
tillyoshea

cwathen wrote:
Gavin Scott wrote:The SNP (if elected) intend to re-nationalise the Scottish part of the business. I have no idea how that would work but I would support it.
'I have no idea how that would work' for me typifies what I see as the insanity of the referendum happening. I genuinely cannot see how you can comprehend voting for something with no understanding of what it will even mean.
But isn't that also true of a "no" vote? The "no" campaign, after all, is emphatically not promising a continuation of the current relationship - instead, there are ill-defined promises of a transfer of further non-specified powers to the Scottish Parliament at a cost yet to be determined. Beyond the specific question, the implications of both outcomes are deeply unclear.
Charlie Wells

I think the Daily Mail will be glad once the referendum is over as it's causing them the discomfort of almost supporting the BBC...
"Nationalists brand BBC's Nick Robinson 'a liar' as thousands protest at corporation's 'biased' coverage on referendum"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stier.html

That said they did manage to mention that Ken Bruce played "Let's Stay Together" this morning, so signs that normal DM service will soon return.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Alan de Robson

Writing as a North East person, I hope Scotland goes for it.

Not because I want to see the back of them. They're our brothers and sisters. Being an independent nation won't change that.

They'll make a great success of it. The first few years might be a bit bumpy but how is that so different to the last few years for all of us.

For the rest of us, it'll shake up the power structures and hopefully put to bed our "responsibilities" to be an international policemen.

Go for it Scotland. Best wishes and all the luck in the world from your Geordie siblings.
barcode

I've had enough, a lot of people need their backsides smacked raw for the awful nasty way of dealing with the other side. It says alot about Scotland, if this is the best we can do.....
robschneider

I've got a lovely mental image of Salmond's bare arse being spanked now.
Critique

So all of the three main party leaders have signed a pledge to devolve more powers to Scotland in the event of a 'no' vote, and it really does smack of desperation. If I was eligible to vote in the referendum I would be critical of the pledge as it shows that Westminster (ugh I sound like Alex Salmond) hadn't been taking the referendum seriously for quite a while, as they did nothing to make people want to stay in the Union and hadn't said anything about further devolution before, instead just telling people it will be a disaster if they went for independence.

Also, when there was a referendum on Scottish powers in the 70s people were told to vote 'no' for something better then as well - and subsequently the 'yes' side did not get the majority required for devolution then to occur. The people were rewarded with 11 years of Margaret Thatcher and no devolution of powers. If I had been around then and voted no I wouldn't make the same mistake!
Gavin Scott
Admin

Fool me once, etc.
bilky asko

Tom Bradby has written an article on how most of the heckling and abuse has come from the Yes side, and how it makes it a story that's not enjoyable to cover. It's not surprising to me, but more indicative of a dirty campaign.

article here ……..

NEWS on ITV.COM
16-Sep-2014 @ 15:09
thegeek

Estimated declaration times combined with opinion polls:
http://vis.oobrien.com/indyref/
Alexia

Some interesting bar charts. A lot of polls now showing Yes ahead:

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions ... try-1#line