Scottish independence

dosxuk

Alexia wrote:I imagine Scotland will eventually get its own IP infrastructure so that geoblocking the iPlayer will be possible
Eventually? It's mostly already there. The ISPs report cities in the UK for most IP addresses already, and for the fraction of subscribers this reports the wrong nation for, I doubt it would take long after the formation of ScotCom for the ISPs to sort that out.

For most UK based geoblocking things, it wouldn't even need them to do anything to stop Scots from accessing their services, as they just look for "United Kingdom" in the geo-ip lookup.
thegeek

Charlie Wells wrote:Some might say Scotland already has it's own currency, try spending a Scottish £10 note in England. :P
I don't remember the last time in had a problem with this. Occasionally they give it a funny look, but thats more due to the unfamiliarity with the relatively new BoS and Clydesdale notes.
scottishtv

Published Fri 12th Sept, undertaken 9th-11th Sept:
ICM - Yes 40%, No 42%, Don't know 17% (rounded). Sample: 1,000.
Excluding Don't knows - Yes 49%, No 51%.
Commissioned by The Guardian. More info.
robschneider

Scary to think that this "sister site" of a UK television site may be technically foreign soon, given AFAIK it's owned and operated from Scotland.

Will Metropol move to a .scot address? :?
robschneider

Whataday wrote:
Alexia wrote:I imagine Scotland will eventually get its own IP infrastructure so that geoblocking the iPlayer will be possible, but for now I doubt it's the main swinging factor in the referendum.
You say that, but television plays such an important part in the lives of many people, so I think it's an important point to answer (Obviously it's one they cannot answer as they have no idea what will happen)

On a similar matter, it's very short sighted of Salmond to start waging war on the BBC, potentially a week before he'll have to start negotiating with them over the support they'll provide to create SBS.
Given the outcry when STV have pre-emptied certain series such as The Bill and I believe early series of Downton, I think "Can I still watch X Factor and Corrie?" will be legitimate questions.
scottishtv

robschneider wrote:I think "Can I still watch X Factor and Corrie?" will be legitimate questions.
robschneider

Surely they'd want a separate version focussed on the Scottish leagues?
Gavin Scott
Admin

robschneider wrote:Surely they'd want a separate version focussed on the Scottish leagues?
You mean Sportscene?

I can understand why you'd be unaware. Its only been on air for 39 years.
Critique

I shall drag this over here to stop derailing the thread on TVf further:
barcode wrote:The only way for the National lottery to even be possible would be a currency union ;)
I'm not 100% sure but surely this wouldn't be the case? The EuroMillions prize isn't paid out in £s to winners in all other participating countries, is it? So surely the same would apply here and the prize would be converted at the exchange rate from the GBP to the Scottish currency?
barcode

Critique wrote:I shall drag this over here to stop derailing the thread on TVf further:
barcode wrote:The only way for the National lottery to even be possible would be a currency union ;)
I'm not 100% sure but surely this wouldn't be the case? The EuroMillions prize isn't paid out in £s to winners in all other participating countries, is it? So surely the same would apply here and the prize would be converted at the exchange rate from the GBP to the Scottish currency?
That goes agaist the white paper view the cost of a ticket would stay the same, we could end up paying £3 Scottish pound to £2 English pound. Also the Euro doesn't pay out money to good causes etc does it?
scottishtv

Too many polls to keep up with now, see them all at http://whatscotlandthinks.org/.