Scottish independence

Critique

MatthewFirth wrote:Kate Middleton thing has failed, as not many people has paid attention to that news because of the referendum hype.
I'm not sure she got pregnant in order to draw away attention from the Scottish Independence referendum...
Gavin Scott
Admin

She did it to get a bigger council house.
scottishtv

Published Wed 10th Sept, undertaken 5th-9th Sept:
Survation - Yes 42.4%, No 47.6%, Don't know 10%. Sample: 1,000.
Excluding Don't knows - Yes 47%, No 53%.
Commissioned by Daily Record. More info.
barcode

Excluding Don't knows makes the polls useless!
cwathen

Is it only me who finds this whole matter a point of utter insanity? I have no issue with there being a referendum on Scottish independence, it is a matter which enough feel people strongly about to warrant one.

I personally support an EU referendum, but before voting in favour of the of the UK leaving Europe I'd want to know exactly what a post-Europe UK would look like. Maybe not all the i's dotted and t's crossed, but certainly fundamentals as to how we would resolve the dependencies we currently have on EU membership I would want to know. And if we were to be independent yet retain some of the benefits of EU membership under some other deal, I'd want to know that too. I certainly wouldn't feel at all comfortable voting to leave the EU if the details of what that would actually look like were only going to be worked out after the referendum.

Yet this is exactly what is happening in Scotland - there is a referendum where the Scottish people are asked to vote on whether or not they want something called 'Scottish Independence', yet no one - including the most virulent supporters of a yes vote - has a clue of what that is actually going to look like.

My personal view is that given a win for the yes side then in the final analysis it will be decided that it will neither benefit Scotland nor the remaining UK to change much at all, and as a result Scotland would be independent in name and have a few more powers than it does now, but yet it would continue to lean on the UK so heavily (and the rest of the UK on it for that matter) that the 'independence' will be underpinned by a mess of treaties, unions, ententes, and co-operations to the point that very little will actually change as a result of leaving the UK and as a result a lot of time and money could be saved by just not doing it.

I of course could be completely wrong and Scotland could end up as separate from the UK as France and Germany are (although I rather suspect it's economy will compare more to Greece than Germany), but either way, surely such fundamentals should be worked out before the public are asked to vote on the matter?
Whataday

Lloyds and RBS have announced they will move their HQs out of Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.
Alexia

Whataday wrote:Lloyds and RBS have announced they will move their HQs out of Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.
Well yes, if they want to remain British companies, they'll have to be within the UK. My heart bleeds for these money-making bastards having to move offices south a few miles.
barcode

Alexia wrote:
Whataday wrote:Lloyds and RBS have announced they will move their HQs out of Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.
Well yes, if they want to remain British companies, they'll have to be within the UK. My heart bleeds for these money-making bastards having to move offices south a few miles.
Or the cut in Corporation Tax might make them think again...
thegeek

cwathen wrote:Yet this is exactly what is happening in Scotland - there is a referendum where the Scottish people are asked to vote on whether or not they want something called 'Scottish Independence', yet no one - including the most virulent supporters of a yes vote - has a clue of what that is actually going to look like.
I thought the point of the 600-odd page White Paper was exactly that?
barcode

thegeek wrote:
cwathen wrote:Yet this is exactly what is happening in Scotland - there is a referendum where the Scottish people are asked to vote on whether or not they want something called 'Scottish Independence', yet no one - including the most virulent supporters of a yes vote - has a clue of what that is actually going to look like.
I thought the point of the 600-odd page White Paper was exactly that?
Its not the world best, the yes people are now point people to this instead: http://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/
Charlie Wells

I'm half surprised the Salmond hasn't mentioned that from memory both RBS and Lloyds have the UK government/taxpayer as a major shareholder. If I was being cynical I'd suggest this might have been an influence in them going public, however non-cynical the announcement was designed to stabilise the financial markets after they took a hit earlier in the week. It's also worth noting that Standard Life announced in event of a yes vote they were relocate some of their business out of Scotland.

It amuses me that the Yes campaign don't want to be told what to do by Westminster, however are more than happy to be still told what to do from Brussels (via the EU). I think on the day a lot will depend upon the voter turnout, and maybe the tighter polls will help to increase the turnout.

Edit: Here's a question/thought, if Scotland votes yes what would the likes of the Royal Mail do? I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to introduce higher postal charges for anyone posting from England to Scotland and vies-versa. At the moment I believe it's a fixed cost across the country, whereas courier tend to charge a higher rate for the 'Highlands & Islands'.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."