Phone dilemma

BBC LDN

WillPS wrote:I'm still gutted that HP ballsed up WebOS as much as they did - it was pretty nice.
Me too - there was a lot to love in webOS. The UI was beautifully designed and easy to get stuck into it, and although there were a few flaws, these weren't insurmountable by any means.

I'm very pleased that webOS lives on to some degree as an open source project, but that doesn't stop me wondering what might have been if it had succeeded under Palm or HP.
bilky asko

BBC LDN wrote:
bilky asko wrote:I have only heard negative comments about BlackBerry phones in the past few months - phones breaking for no reason, the tendency for them to slow down to a crawl, and general lagging behind the competition.

A comment from a friend summed it up for me - "I miss Android". This was coming from a person who upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Europa to a Blackberry Torch 9810 - a much more highly specified phone. He missed the range of apps, the better layout, the more extensive customisation options, and the reliability of the OS (rather than the hardware). From my limited experience of his phone, not only is the hardware poorer than expected (the camera is shite, and the screen backlight has an awful flicker) but the OS is a pile of steaming horse manure.

Speaking of a crap OS, I am in two minds as to whether I should wipe my HTC HD2 and eradicate the awful Windows Mobile 6.5, and replace it with Android or Windows Phone 7. It should make it run much better, but I have got used to the quirks of the OS. My contract is nearly up anyway, and the charging wire has started to split as well; the screen is scratched to buggery, and the back falls off every time a mouse farts. I don't know.
Oh my, the Galaxy Europa. Absolutely dreadful phone - I have one for low-end app testing, and I hate every second that I use it. I think it says a lot that a high-end BlackBerry would leave someone pining for such a hateful device as the Europa, but symptomatic of the problems that RIM face in the consumer market.

There are a couple of things that BlackBerrys are great for - namely email, BBM and generally good hardware build quality - but the package as a whole is terribly lacking compared with devices that have been designed primarily with the consumer experience in mind, and which are now making in-roads into the business space (the iPhone being the obvious, though by no means the only, example).

I'd say that installing an alternative ROM on your HD2 is a great idea. From what I've seen the Windows Phone ports to the HD2 have been pretty decent, and now properly support services (such as Live) along with Marketplace access to acquire additional apps. I almost took the plunge myself, but ended up selling my HD2 for £250 on eBay instead. That was a few months back - not sure what they're going for these days, but if you're not going to get much for it, installing a Windows Phone or Android is much better than just chucking it in a drawer.
After a bit of thought, I will have a go - once I've bought a new USB-to-micro-USB cable for the charger. If the phone were in a better condition, it would sell quite well, but it's been quite battered. I got the phone free"refurbished" (i.e. a return) from Virgin Mobile for £20 a month instead of £40, so I've made a saving in that sense already.
Dr Lobster*

i'd just like to thank Mr Scott for bringing Swiftkey to my attention.

i've only been using a couple of days, it actually makes my phone a joy to type on. as you can see it's already saved me over 1000 keystrokes.

and although i was dubious of the sales patter about it reading my mind, it really does seem to do so at times. great product, well worth the couple of quid it cost.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Oh, we'll I'm glad to have helped.

Sometimes you can start from one word and watch it predict the entirety of your message, based on what you usually say to specific contacts.

Scarily, and somehow tragically, accurate.
Critique

I spoke to O2 the other day, about my current situation (one month left until my early upgrade, and the fact that the current phone is next to useless), and they told me, no, I couldn't upgrade early, unless I wanted to buy out of my contract, and that they'd charge me to repair it, for whatever reason they said at the time. I then asked them if the fact I am a loyal customer, with 3 phones on O2 at once (work phone, and whatnot), would give me any sort of discount, or the like, and I was told 'I hope you understand my position, but I appreciate your loyalty, but I can't do anything for you'. Customer loyalty, irritatingly, means nothing, these days.

Oh, and the keyboard on the BlackBerry (not fixed, as the prices for repairs are stupidly high), now adds an 'a' in wherever it sees fit, despite the 'a' being broken. In fact, sending a text is now incredibly difficult.

[/whinge]
cdd

Or you could buy the phone outright and have a SIM-only deal/plan of some kind, thereby allowing you to upgrade whenever you actually wanted. I'm just sayin'...
Critique

I change my mind on this like the weather, but HTC have recently released their new 'One' range, so I'm going to buy a One S.

4.3 inch screen, Ice Cream Sandwich, Dual Core 1.5GHz processor, and Sense 4.0. On top of this, Sense doesn't look as cluttered anymore, with positive reviews, and it's very thin and light. It looks like a nice competitor to the Galaxy S2, even if the One S is mid-range.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

I think it's probably a good choice - I got the One X a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. The One S will have the advantage that it shouldn't eat through it's battery as quickly.
I was torn between the Samsung S3 and HTC One X. After playing on my wife's S2, I came to the conclusion that I personally prefer the HTC interface as it seems a bit cleaner to me. That was all I could put between the two!
Snarky
Critique

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:I think it's probably a good choice - I got the One X a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. The One S will have the advantage that it shouldn't eat through it's battery as quickly.
I was torn between the Samsung S3 and HTC One X. After playing on my wife's S2, I came to the conclusion that I personally prefer the HTC interface as it seems a bit cleaner to me. That was all I could put between the two!
It's a very interesting phone. In another world, the One S would be the flagship phone, yet it's midrange. The X is lovely, too, but I think I screen is slightly too big - a 4.3 inch device seems big!

I know the S has less memory than the X, but does no SD slot bother you? Is the internal storage enough?
Ebeneezer Scrooge

The internal storage is more than enough for me, but then I've never stretched the SD storage on my phones in the past because up to this phone, the audio performance was never good enough for it to take over as my main music device. I find that I generally have access to wifi whenever I want to watch video, so I stream that from my home machine - currently, my phone is mostly empty. I'm sure this will change, but I think the internal storage is plenty for the music I'll be listening to at any one time.
Snarky
Critique

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:The internal storage is more than enough for me, but then I've never stretched the SD storage on my phones in the past because up to this phone, the audio performance was never good enough for it to take over as my main music device. I find that I generally have access to wifi whenever I want to watch video, so I stream that from my home machine - currently, my phone is mostly empty. I'm sure this will change, but I think the internal storage is plenty for the music I'll be listening to at any one time.
Ah, I see. I'll be coming from a phone with a pitiful 2GB SD card, so as I'm not used to the extra space, I doubt I'll fill it up quickly. I can see the app memory filling up quickly, as I'll end up tempted by most apps that I see, no doubt.