The Magic Pencil on Look and Read

Sput

Right Metropollers, this sounds like the sort of crap one of us usually knows and it's going to bug me for ages: How did they do the magic pencil so it looks like it floats? It doesn't look like it could be string, I can't see a hand and it's obviously doing some writing...

[You may wish to mute before starting this clip. It's maddening]
Knight knight
Ben

I always thought it was probably sitting on top of a blue stick which got CSOed out.
nidave

"All the way round, down and around!, All the way round, down and around!, All the way round, down and around!"
Arghhhhhh!
cwathen

All the way round and up and down and flick! (not sure whether that would actually draw a letter lol).

Magic pencil must be one of the longest-standing children's learning aids ever - must've done well over 20 years now and still going.
Dr Lobster*

I love it, I might just be ripping the audio and turning it into a ringtone. I don't know how it's done, but it always fascinated me as a child.
Sput

It COULD be CSO and a stick, if the stick was parallel to the pencil...
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

Dr Lobster* wrote:I love it, I might just be ripping the audio and turning it into a ringtone.
There are people in this world with annoying ringtones and there are others with VERY annoying ringtones!
bilky asko

When you watch it on TV, you can sometimes see a gloved hand. It looks like the pencil has some sort of obscured handle that the gloved hand is using to write with the pencil.