2012 Elections

barcode

2012 has the biggest amount of elections in the 4 year circle , with

* London mayoral election
* London Assembly
* ALL 32 Scottish council
* 131 English local authorities,
* All 22 Welsh councils, alongside elections for the London mayorality and the .
* Referendums will also be held in 11 English cities to determine whether or not to introduce directly elected mayor

So interesting few months ahead, and in the London major election we have the same three candidates as last time. But will the Lib Dems get another right battering and could this help ken when london?

If the tories dont make big losses does this mean Red ED is in trouble.
Critique

Does this mean Boris won't be Mayor of London during the Olympics? What a shame.
DVB Cornwall

Boris is 100/30 ON to remain Mayor with Betfair

Ken is 16/5 against.
dosxuk

Don't forget one of the colonies is also holding a referendum on whether to ban gays and immigrants and to invade the rest of the world.
Pete

urgh, i'm probably going to have to finish those election css styles I never finished aren't I.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

The London Mayoral election is the only one I really care about this year. As much as I dislike the Tory party and Boris I can't really fault any of his actions in position - the New Bus for London should have happened years ago (before the Old Bus for London was withdrawn, really), the bikes are brilliant and his stance on the benefit cuts/their effect on his city was admirable. If I lived in London, I'd be facing an uneasy decision.
woah

WillPS wrote:The London Mayoral election is the only one I really care about this year. As much as I dislike the Tory party and Boris I can't really fault any of his actions in position - the New Bus for London should have happened years ago (before the Old Bus for London was withdrawn, really), the bikes are brilliant and his stance on the benefit cuts/their effect on his city was admirable. If I lived in London, I'd be facing an uneasy decision.
As lovely as the New Bus For London is - I can't help but think it was a huge waste of money that another hybrid bus like the standard Enviro400H (or even Wright/Volvo hybrid) jobbie couldn't do for much less development and purchase cost, examples are already in London doing a good job.

There was never really anything wrong with the bendy buses, true they had issues with a small number of fires, but seemed to be resolved and newer ones could be purchased - they have a higher passenger capacity too!
WillPS

They discouraged cycling. I personally think that the extra money spent on a London-specific body which could potentially be used for the next decade will save money in the long run in terms of maintenance efficiency. Indeed, what kept the Routemasters in service for so long was the part availability and the ability to be completely stripped down & rebuilt on a regular basis.
martindtanderson

I will be voting for Ken Livingstone again. Boris has been a joke, but a lot less harmful than I was expecting.

Ken re-invigorated Transport for London, brought in the Oyster card, kept fairs from rising above inflation, had a budget surplus, got the olympics (I'm not a fan of the olympics but it has helped the east end), he has a history of defending the poor from a Tory government, he is down to earth, and you can tell he loves London.

Also Boris adjusted all the traffic lights so time to cross roads has decreased, and the time it takes for the lights to change once you press the button has increased.

About getting rid of the "bendy buses"... All that was needed, was conductors in between the 2 sets of back doors. Double Decked buses are dangerous, and are not as wheelchair or pushchair accessible! Not to mention the waste of money replacing them with a nostalgia induced vanity project.
barcode

For Reason unknown Mr Ken/Labour has started to come top of the opinion polls for the mayor elections.
bilky asko

barcode wrote:For Reason unknown Mr Ken/Labour has started to come top of the opinion polls for the mayor elections.
How else would he be in the running for replacing David Cameron? He couldn't if he were still Mayor.