High Street chain collapse sweepstake

scottishtv

all new Phil wrote:
Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.38
M&S have clearly realised that there is more money in food given how much focus it is being given. I reckon they’ll open more food-only stores.
It's been the case for a long time now. Will be interesting to see how the Ocado switch from Waitrose to M&S food works out later in the year.
GeekyJames

scottishtv wrote:
Sat 11 Jan, 2020 16.20
all new Phil wrote:
Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.38
M&S have clearly realised that there is more money in food given how much focus it is being given. I reckon they’ll open more food-only stores.
It's been the case for a long time now. Will be interesting to see how the Ocado switch from Waitrose to M&S food works out later in the year.
My local M&S in Hedge End, Southampton has just had a major refit on their food hall, it's very impressive with lots of fresh counters, bakery etc you can actually do a weeks shop here if you can afford it!

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/181036 ... /#gallery1
Martin Phillp

g67bbx wrote:
Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08.42
Martin Phillp wrote:
Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.12
HMV continues to be volatile, closing more stores this month due to landlord issues. If Sunrise Records can't make the business viable, then I think it's finally game over for a business reliant on physical media sales.

As for Argos, their issues at Christmas were down to axing their traditional 3 for 2 on toys promotion, which saw sales drop 10%. Personally I think Sainsbury's are in the right direction by opening concessions in stores and having smaller units on the High Street with an emphasis on click and collect or home delivery.
I agree with your Argos view. The "store in store" format is the way forward.
Where I am we have one in the Sainsbury's store in town and one a mile up the road on a small retail park with home bargains and dreams. On the edge of a housing estate. The one in Sainsbury's was queuing over Christmas. The other, bigger one has (most of the time) one person working the till and bringing out the stock. It's a matter of convenience.
My local Argos in Sainsbury's is usually quiet with personalised service to the point where they help you pay if you use cash, then go to to the back and grab the item for you. However it was heaving one Saturday in early December and had extra staff. That store also has Argos branded vans doing local same day deliveries.

The second nearest Argos concession in Sainsbury's was as busy as any main store with at least three cashiers on the shop floor.

I prefer going into the local Sainsbury's concession to the main Argos store these days, it's rare if I can't get it on click and collect that I'd need the larger store.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Talking of Sainsbury's & Argos, I feel like I say this every year but could 2020 be the year Homebase finally bites the dust? I haven't seen any real signs of recovery...
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote:
Sun 12 Jan, 2020 00.47
Talking of Sainsbury's & Argos, I feel like I say this every year but could 2020 be the year Homebase finally bites the dust? I haven't seen any real signs of recovery...
There's a Wilko and Homebase in Penge. It's not hard to guess which store is doing well.

Not helped by the Bunnings disaster and the store rebranding back to Homebase while keeping the Bunnings format hasn't helped.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Last time I was in Homebase it seemed to be heaving with staff, who were all really helpful and friendly - but being a weekday afternoon, nowhere near the customers to match. It was a good customer experience, but doesn't feel very sustainable.
Pete

thegeek wrote:
Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07.01
Last time I was in Homebase it seemed to be heaving with staff, who were all really helpful and friendly - but being a weekday afternoon, nowhere near the customers to match. It was a good customer experience, but doesn't feel very sustainable.
Our Homebase is now a B&M the size of the moon. I prefer The Range however as I find they at least have some decent quality homeware stuff in there.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
GeekyJames

Pete wrote:
Sun 12 Jan, 2020 16.05
thegeek wrote:
Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07.01
Our Homebase is now a B&M the size of the moon. I prefer The Range however as I find they at least have some decent quality homeware stuff in there.
Homebase are planning on opening some smaller city centre stores https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... rn-profit/
g67bbx

Bournemouth based Beales department stores at risk of collapse.
Not bad for a business that was opening stores last month

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51083396
WillPS

g67bbx wrote:
Sun 12 Jan, 2020 20.48
Bournemouth based Beales department stores at risk of collapse.
Not bad for a business that was opening stores last month

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51083396
They're mostly ex-Co-op department stores, presumably paying the Co-op (who still own some of the stores) bugger all in rent.

God knows how they've made it so long.
Pete

They took over an old lovely store in Hexham and the food hall turned into a Nisa.
"He has to be larger than bacon"