High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Pete

thegeek wrote: Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07.01 Last time I was in Homebase it seemed to be heaving with staff, who were all really helpful and friendly - but being a weekday afternoon, nowhere near the customers to match. It was a good customer experience, but doesn't feel very sustainable.
Our Homebase is now a B&M the size of the moon. I prefer The Range however as I find they at least have some decent quality homeware stuff in there.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
GeekyJames

Pete wrote: Sun 12 Jan, 2020 16.05
thegeek wrote: Sun 12 Jan, 2020 07.01 Last time I was in Homebase it seemed to be heaving with staff, who were all really helpful and friendly - but being a weekday afternoon, nowhere near the customers to match. It was a good customer experience, but doesn't feel very sustainable.
Our Homebase is now a B&M the size of the moon. I prefer The Range however as I find they at least have some decent quality homeware stuff in there.
Homebase are planning on opening some smaller city centre stores https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... rn-profit/
g67bbx

Bournemouth based Beales department stores at risk of collapse.
Not bad for a business that was opening stores last month

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51083396
WillPS

g67bbx wrote: Sun 12 Jan, 2020 20.48 Bournemouth based Beales department stores at risk of collapse.
Not bad for a business that was opening stores last month

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51083396
They're mostly ex-Co-op department stores, presumably paying the Co-op (who still own some of the stores) bugger all in rent.

God knows how they've made it so long.
Pete

They took over an old lovely store in Hexham and the food hall turned into a Nisa.
thegeek

WillPS

It'd cause big problems with connectivity to British Islands if they did go under, I can see why the government would probably want to prop up those parts of the business at least.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10.51 It'd cause big problems with connectivity to British Islands if they did go under, I can see why the government would probably want to prop up those parts of the business at least.
A lot of the services up here are by Loganair who I've always suspected would just be nationalised and merged into CalMac if they ever went under. Most of their routes are propped up with public service money though, not sure if FlyBe have that to rely on?
scottishtv

So Virgin Connect may never see the light of day? Even Virgin's Little Red domestic services managed a year or so of operation.
thegeek

Pete wrote: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 13.17
WillPS wrote: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10.51 It'd cause big problems with connectivity to British Islands if they did go under, I can see why the government would probably want to prop up those parts of the business at least.
A lot of the services up here are by Loganair who I've always suspected would just be nationalised and merged into CalMac if they ever went under. Most of their routes are propped up with public service money though, not sure if FlyBe have that to rely on?
Loganair seem to be doing alright, having subsumed the profitable bits of bmi regional. They used to be a Flybe franchise partner for some Highland/Island routes, but parted company a couple of years ago. They then competed for a bit on the Orkney/Shetland routes, which was a bit financially bruising for both parties.
Martin Phillp

Five HMV stores have been saved after negotiations with landlords.

Glasgow Braehead
Edinburgh Ocean Terminal
Reading
Sheffield Meadowhall
Grimsby
TVF's London Lite.