High Street chain collapse sweepstake

g67bbx

cdd wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 16.47 I’m putting all the chain Italian restaurants in the “negative outlook” category. I don’t think the bloodshed of 2019 is nearly over yet, and there’s still about a million of them. Carluccios has started widely discounting now too, which they never used to do.
I agree with you. there is too much competition on the Italian dining market. It'll affect all of them.
g67bbx

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.12 HMV continues to be volatile, closing more stores this month due to landlord issues. If Sunrise Records can't make the business viable, then I think it's finally game over for a business reliant on physical media sales.

As for Argos, their issues at Christmas were down to axing their traditional 3 for 2 on toys promotion, which saw sales drop 10%. Personally I think Sainsbury's are in the right direction by opening concessions in stores and having smaller units on the High Street with an emphasis on click and collect or home delivery.
I agree with your Argos view. The "store in store" format is the way forward.
Where I am we have one in the Sainsbury's store in town and one a mile up the road on a small retail park with home bargains and dreams. On the edge of a housing estate. The one in Sainsbury's was queuing over Christmas. The other, bigger one has (most of the time) one person working the till and bringing out the stock. It's a matter of convenience.
gottago

g67bbx wrote: Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08.35
cdd wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 16.47 I’m putting all the chain Italian restaurants in the “negative outlook” category. I don’t think the bloodshed of 2019 is nearly over yet, and there’s still about a million of them. Carluccios has started widely discounting now too, which they never used to do.
I agree with you. there is too much competition on the Italian dining market. It'll affect all of them.
I was at the O2 last night and was amazed at how there were only three tables of customers at Pizza Express. It wasn't a show night but still Nando's and even continually struggling Byron were packed. Pizza Express felt like an untouchable chain restaurant until pretty recently so it's really surprising to see.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.12 HMV continues to be volatile, closing more stores this month due to landlord issues. If Sunrise Records can't make the business viable, then I think it's finally game over for a business reliant on physical media sales.
In fairness to Sunrise Records, all these current closures appear to be locations which were originally closed/meant to close following the purchase out of administration last year. Clearly some short term arrangement was made which is not being renewed.

That said, I went in to the Meadowhall branch this week and was surprised to find that other than 'Store Closing' signage literally nothing in store was any different to any other store. The shop was fully stocked, and other than the standard 'HMV sale' bullshit there were no reductions. I rather suspect that some negotiations between the company and their landlords are ongoing, and these posters are a pretty thin bargaining chip.

HMV as the chain we all know from the last 20 years is going, there are no two ways about it. The only chance for survival is for the new Vault concept - https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... birmingham

The same can't be said for Game however, who are totally fucked once the next generation of consoles hit the shelves (likely pushing more and more towards a subscription model).

I wont miss either chain.
gottago wrote: Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09.53
I was at the O2 last night and was amazed at how there were only three tables of customers at Pizza Express. It wasn't a show night but still Nando's and even continually struggling Byron were packed. Pizza Express felt like an untouchable chain restaurant until pretty recently so it's really surprising to see.
Pizza Express is going to eventually come down with an almighty thud. They are carrying the equivalent of £2.3m of debt for each every one of their 480 locations. Quite how they have got to this position is pretty remarkable.

I expect the chain will continue though, albeit much reduced.

Carluccios I'm not so sure about.
Pete

gottago wrote: Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09.53
They've recently taken several popular dishes off their menu that had been there for a very long time claiming they'd just refreshed it. I wonder if this has had a big impact. The chicken wings are very tasty, but not very Italian. Whereas the antipasti sharing board was far more inkeeping.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

all new Phil wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.38 M&S have clearly realised that there is more money in food given how much focus it is being given. I reckon they’ll open more food-only stores.
It's been the case for a long time now. Will be interesting to see how the Ocado switch from Waitrose to M&S food works out later in the year.
GeekyJames

scottishtv wrote: Sat 11 Jan, 2020 16.20
all new Phil wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.38 M&S have clearly realised that there is more money in food given how much focus it is being given. I reckon they’ll open more food-only stores.
It's been the case for a long time now. Will be interesting to see how the Ocado switch from Waitrose to M&S food works out later in the year.
My local M&S in Hedge End, Southampton has just had a major refit on their food hall, it's very impressive with lots of fresh counters, bakery etc you can actually do a weeks shop here if you can afford it!

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/181036 ... /#gallery1
Martin Phillp

g67bbx wrote: Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08.42

As for Argos, their issues at Christmas were down to axing their traditional 3 for 2 on toys promotion, which saw sales drop 10%. Personally I think Sainsbury's are in the right direction by opening concessions in stores and having smaller units on the High Street with an emphasis on click and collect or home delivery.
I agree with your Argos view. The "store in store" format is the way forward.
Where I am we have one in the Sainsbury's store in town and one a mile up the road on a small retail park with home bargains and dreams. On the edge of a housing estate. The one in Sainsbury's was queuing over Christmas. The other, bigger one has (most of the time) one person working the till and bringing out the stock. It's a matter of convenience.
My local Argos in Sainsbury's is usually quiet with personalised service to the point where they help you pay if you use cash, then go to to the back and grab the item for you. However it was heaving one Saturday in early December and had extra staff. That store also has Argos branded vans doing local same day deliveries.

The second nearest Argos concession in Sainsbury's was as busy as any main store with at least three cashiers on the shop floor.

I prefer going into the local Sainsbury's concession to the main Argos store these days, it's rare if I can't get it on click and collect that I'd need the larger store.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Talking of Sainsbury's & Argos, I feel like I say this every year but could 2020 be the year Homebase finally bites the dust? I haven't seen any real signs of recovery...
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Sun 12 Jan, 2020 00.47 Talking of Sainsbury's & Argos, I feel like I say this every year but could 2020 be the year Homebase finally bites the dust? I haven't seen any real signs of recovery...
There's a Wilko and Homebase in Penge. It's not hard to guess which store is doing well.

Not helped by the Bunnings disaster and the store rebranding back to Homebase while keeping the Bunnings format hasn't helped.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Last time I was in Homebase it seemed to be heaving with staff, who were all really helpful and friendly - but being a weekday afternoon, nowhere near the customers to match. It was a good customer experience, but doesn't feel very sustainable.