High Street chain collapse sweepstake

thegeek

thegeek wrote: Fri 08 Feb, 2019 19.06
thegeek wrote: Tue 05 Feb, 2019 22.58 Sad to see Glasgow's Byres Road branch on the list
Apparently it's to remain open after all.

It wasn't to last:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-50904011
thegeek

Pete wrote: Sat 28 Dec, 2019 18.54
gottago wrote: Sat 28 Dec, 2019 17.42 Topshop/Man in Westfield Stratford is closing in February. Seems mad that a major, busy store in one of the country's most important shopping centres is closing. I wonder if Arcadia's troubles will be rearing its head again soon.
One wonders if this is a rent issue. The question is what happens with their other outlets in Westfield?
It is a huge unit. I wonder what'll fill it, and if they're downsizing or pulling out completely.
Arcadia's only other unit there is a combined Dorothy Perkins/Burton.
simonipswich1

thegeek wrote: Sun 29 Dec, 2019 10.16
gottago wrote: Sat 28 Dec, 2019 17.42 Topshop/Man in Westfield Stratford is closing in February. Seems mad that a major, busy store in one of the country's most important shopping centres is closing. I wonder if Arcadia's troubles will be rearing its head again soon.
One wonders if this is a rent issue. The question is what happens with their other outlets in Westfield?
It is a huge unit. I wonder what'll fill it, and if they're downsizing or pulling out completely.
The Ipswich Burton/Dorothy Perkins on the Cornhill is closing in January, Ipswich Borough Council have pulled the lease on them as Arcadia got a rent reduction much less than market value. Another retailer has agreed with IBC to pay the full market rent, they informed Arcadia of this so if they wanted to stay they would have to match it, Arcadia said they couldn't afford it, so IBC gave them notice to leave. There is a Top Shop and Top Man in Tower Ramparts, the unit next to Top Man is empty (previously the Post Office) so people are wondering if Burton would go in there with Dorothy Perkins sharing Top Shop.
gottago

thegeek wrote: Sun 29 Dec, 2019 10.16
I asked at the till and she said the plan was to downsize to the old Missguided unit originally but it was decided they'd pull out completely.
Pete

simonipswich1 wrote: Sun 29 Dec, 2019 11.22There is a Top Shop and Top Man in Tower Ramparts, the unit next to Top Man is empty (previously the Post Office) so people are wondering if Burton would go in there with Dorothy Perkins sharing Top Shop.
Topman in Tower Ramparts you say...

"He has to be larger than bacon"
g67bbx

Time I think for my "Who to watch in 2020" post.

Winners:
TESCO - Strong Christmas period, but more changes to come.
Greggs - All staff to receive a share of £7m bonus.
Next - generally doing well.
The German discounters - as normal.
Primark - offers more than just clothes now, it's the experience.

In the Middle:
WHSmith - I expect more of the same. high street down but travel up.
Marks and Spencer - They are starting to improve and focus on what the customer wants. There won't be miracles but things are on the up. However, over-ordering remains an issue for them.

Losers:
Superdry - Impacted by heavy discounting from other retailers. The share price plunged amid profit warning.
Debenhams - Already closing stores, how many more will go.
John Lewis - It is suspected that partners will miss out on their bonus this year. Partners are unlikely to stay loyal to the brand, resulting in many resignations i suspect.
Argos - let down the empire over Christmas, store changes to come?
Morrisons - Left behind by the other supermarkets. Outdated processes and technology not helping.
Arcadia group - we'll see.
Italian restuarant chains. (i.e. Carluccio's, Pizza Express etc.)
HMV
cdd

I’m putting all the chain Italian restaurants in the “negative outlook” category. I don’t think the bloodshed of 2019 is nearly over yet, and there’s still about a million of them. Carluccios has started widely discounting now too, which they never used to do.
Martin Phillp

HMV continues to be volatile, closing more stores this month due to landlord issues. If Sunrise Records can't make the business viable, then I think it's finally game over for a business reliant on physical media sales.

As for Argos, their issues at Christmas were down to axing their traditional 3 for 2 on toys promotion, which saw sales drop 10%. Personally I think Sainsbury's are in the right direction by opening concessions in stores and having smaller units on the High Street with an emphasis on click and collect or home delivery.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

M&S have clearly realised that there is more money in food given how much focus it is being given. I reckon they’ll open more food-only stores.

Primark seem to be getting bigger and bigger, branching out into themed cafes etc. I’m not sure how it fits alongside cheapo clothing but they’ve figured out that gullible millennials will Instagram anything that vaguely looks like something to do with Disney or Friends. The Central Perk cafe in their Manchester store had a huge queue last time I was there.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 23.38

Primark seem to be getting bigger and bigger, branching out into themed cafes etc. I’m not sure how it fits alongside cheapo clothing but they’ve figured out that gullible millennials will Instagram anything that vaguely looks like something to do with Disney or Friends. The Central Perk cafe in their Manchester store had a huge queue last time I was there.
The main issue I have with Primark is the tight targeting of millennial women. The range for men is still broad, but if you're an older female looking for a bargain, there isn't much there.

Rival Pep & Co seems to have a slightly broader range for women, but who really goes to Poundland to buy clothes?
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I wonder if Primark is going to suffer slightly with a climate-based backlash against fast fashion; or if its core demographic isn't bothered enough to take its business elsewhere.