High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Martin Phillp

Tue 15 Jan, 2019 11.49

The 17 M&S stores are:

Ashford, Barrow, Bedford, Boston, Buxton, Cwmbran, Deal, Felixstowe, Huddersfield, Hull, Junction One Antrim Outlet, Luton Arndale, Newark, Northwich, Rotherham, Sutton Coldfield and Weston-super-Mare.
TVF's London Lite.
GeekyJames

Thu 17 Jan, 2019 22.34

Martin Phillp

Sun 20 Jan, 2019 16.00

Mike Ashley in talks to acquire HMV. It may be merged with GAME if he gets control.

https://news.sky.com/story/ashley-aims- ... v-11612905
TVF's London Lite.
MarkAshley

Sun 20 Jan, 2019 17.47

Hmmm yeah I guess that could work - except as has been mentioned in this thread, GAME seems to be a pastiche of CEX these days.
Not sure that part of the business is compatible with HMV.

Hairy.
DavidTRex

Sun 20 Jan, 2019 17.55

Patisserie Valerie could collapse this week if last-ditch talks fail

Chairman Luke Johnson is trying to extend standstill agreement on bank facilities
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... fail-banks
Martin Phillp

Sun 20 Jan, 2019 22.46

Going back to HMV, if Ashley gets the business, I won't be surprised if he moves some of those small HMV stores that are in the same town as a House of Fraser or even a large Sports Direct into those stores. It's about utilising the space under utilised in those HOF department stores.

It can be done as HMV had a small concession in Selfridges.
TVF's London Lite.
simonipswich1

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 10.24

Martin Phillp wrote:
Sun 20 Jan, 2019 22.46
Going back to HMV, if Ashley gets the business, I won't be surprised if he moves some of those small HMV stores that are in the same town as a House of Fraser or even a large Sports Direct into those stores. It's about utilising the space under utilised in those HOF department stores.

I thought that could happen. In Ipswich, HMV took over the old John Menzies shop in Tavern Street, then last year, they moved into a small unit in the Sailmakers Shopping Centre (previously Tower Ramparts). There is a large Sports Direct in Carr Street so I can see if he does take on the business, that could happen in Ipswich.
Charlie Wells

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 11.07

Martin Phillp wrote:
Sun 20 Jan, 2019 22.46

Probably worth noting that Ashley also owns a stake in Debenhams, and it's quite possible he'll end up buying them out to save that department store. If that happens I could easily see a HMV within part of Debenhams, I'm not as sure if it would work as well in HOF. That said HMV also owns the Fopp brand, so it's theoretically possible House of Fraser could have a Fopp concession, whilst Debenhams have HMV concessions, or vice-versa.

Going off-topic the Debenhams in Bedford has plenty of excess space that could be given over to HMV, though with a broken lift (note accessible toilet is on floor 3), broken wheelchair lift for a raise part of one floor (where ironically an accessible changing room is located) I'm sensing the store is pencilled for closure. With the M&S store in Bedford down for closure it looks like there's going to be a lot of empty retail space in Bedford, and only Beales left for department stores.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Martin Phillp

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 12.52

HMV in Croydon is closing already. I thought at first this was to do with the administration, but is a pre-planned closure due to the redevelopment of the site as part of the Whitgift Centre redevelopment into Westfield.
TVF's London Lite.
g67bbx

Mon 21 Jan, 2019 18.28

Watch this space with WHSmith.

I don't know why, and couldn't tell you why. But all managers have been asked to attend voice conferences tomorrow due to a company announcement.

I suspect it is either restructuring or some changes at exec level, as these have both been rumoured.
Martin Phillp

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 17.17

DavidTRex wrote:
Sun 20 Jan, 2019 17.55
Patisserie Valerie could collapse this week if last-ditch talks fail

Chairman Luke Johnson is trying to extend standstill agreement on bank facilities
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... fail-banks
And since has.

https://news.sky.com/story/patisserie-v ... n-11614744
TVF's London Lite.