High Street chain collapse sweepstake

thegeek

thegeek wrote: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 12.36 This photo, shamelessly stolen from a local Facebook group, shows the Bunnings in Walthamstow - as of this week, a Homebase again.
I was in said Homebase today - last time I was there was before its brief sojourn as a Bunnings.

Still lots of signs in Futura, and blackboards, and a café with no customers. But what I did find is that there were loads of staff, and they were really helpful and friendly. Quite a contrast to the B&Q I was in the other day, where everyone was grumpy. I'm not sure it'll last...
g67bbx

Superdry profits drop and share price falls. Considering closing stores to save £50m by 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46535682
Martin Phillp

Laura Ashley to close 40 stores.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46588294
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

MarkAshley wrote: Tue 18 Dec, 2018 20.38
Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 17 Dec, 2018 02.41 Laura Ashley to close 40 stores.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46588294
I know there was a branch in my local town. I have no idea if it's still there. I imagine I'm not the demographic, but to be honest I couldn't even tell you if they sold cardigans or carpets.
I *think* they sell blouses and a range of paint.
JAS84

House of Fraser Hull rescued days before it was due to close!
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... st-2359661
rdobbie

thegeek wrote: Tue 20 Nov, 2018 21.32
thegeek wrote: Tue 24 Jul, 2018 12.36 This photo, shamelessly stolen from a local Facebook group, shows the Bunnings in Walthamstow - as of this week, a Homebase again.
I was in said Homebase today - last time I was there was before its brief sojourn as a Bunnings.

Still lots of signs in Futura, and blackboards, and a café with no customers. But what I did find is that there were loads of staff, and they were really helpful and friendly. Quite a contrast to the B&Q I was in the other day, where everyone was grumpy. I'm not sure it'll last...
From a Metropol perspective, it's a shame there were only a handful of Homebase->-Bunnings->- Homebase conversions in the UK, as not all of us got to experience at first hand the branding car crash that unfolded - even more entertaining than the Safeway/Morrisons saga.

5 months on from the reversion of the Bunnings stores into Homebases, they're continuing to be run in the Bunnings format, with the only difference being the name (codename 'HINO' - Homebase In Name Only?).

The signature Bunnings offerings have strangely been preserved - greeters permanently stationed at the front door, key cutting, wood cutting, the kids' adventure playground, Santa's grotto, sausage sizzles, the ridiculously overpriced Hardware Café and basically the whole trading style.

There hasn't been any incursion of Homebase POS material during the regular 15% Off events on particular ranges, although the Bunnings shelf-edge prices are adjusted to match the temporary discounts offered nationally by Homebase.

It's like they're trying to keep the facade of the Bunnings EDLP ("no special offers") retail model whilst allowing the lowered prices for the sake of pricing harmony across the wider Homebase-Bunnings business.

Hard to understand what they're doing here. My only possible conclusion is that new owners Hilco thought there might be some glimmer of hope in the Bunnings retail format (after all, it worked in Australia), so are keeping it alive for experimental purposes.

This approach is totally different to Morrisons' brutal wipeout of the Safeway trading style in the shortest time possible.
all new Phil

Always thought there was enough in the Bunnings format to potentially make it a success, it’s a shame they haven’t held their nerve with it and stuck it out. With a bit more brand recognition it could be to DIY stores what Ikea is to furniture stores.
g67bbx

all new Phil

Wait, what... HMV is still going??
Martin Phillp

Unlike six years ago when physical sales were terminal, HMV's business model is now dead thanks to mainstream use of streaming providers such as Spotify and Netflix.

I buy most films and box sets to stream these days instead of buying a physical copy.
TVF's London Lite.
Dr Lobster*

probably a good time to make some predictions about which retailers will kick the bucket in 2019.

I'm going to ignore HMV - i can't imagine there is really a viable business left, or worth investing in now - that said, i think what is a surprise to most people is that it limped on as long as it did.... i haven't purchased anything from them in years, and the last time i walked in they were selling quite a bit of maplin style tat (shite bluetooth speakers, etc)

anyway, big chain predictions

Debenhams
WH Smith
Game