High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Ant158

Sayers (or Hampsons as I still call my local one) is much better than Greggs. Sayers sausage rolls are better! My local Lancashire town has had a Hampsons for years. Greggs opened and closed within a couple of years.
DJDave

Ant158 wrote: Fri 17 Aug, 2018 18.40 Sayers (or Hampsons as I still call my local one) is much better than Greggs. Sayers sausage rolls are better! My local Lancashire town has had a Hampsons for years. Greggs opened and closed within a couple of years.
Yeah the Sausage Rolls from Sayers are top notch to Greggs and the Sausage and Bean and Cheese and Onion pasty's.
Martin Phillp

Percy Ingle in London is better than Greggs.
TVF's London Lite.
TheonlyMCAB

DJDave wrote: Fri 17 Aug, 2018 22.33
Ant158 wrote: Fri 17 Aug, 2018 18.40 Sayers (or Hampsons as I still call my local one) is much better than Greggs. Sayers sausage rolls are better! My local Lancashire town has had a Hampsons for years. Greggs opened and closed within a couple of years.
Yeah the Sausage Rolls from Sayers are top notch to Greggs and the Sausage and Bean and Cheese and Onion pasty's.
Born and bred Liverpudlian here, and I have to add Sayers is dreadful! Always thought there was something odd about a pink sausage roll!

One thing I always noticed about Sayers growing up- they rebranded a few times and would always seem to have the window frames and doors painted in the new corporate colour, but then take actual years to change the signage to the new look. I'm sure somewhere there's still a branch that has maroon paintwork but still has the orange and blue fascia signs.
DJDave

TheonlyMCAB wrote: Sun 19 Aug, 2018 02.44
DJDave wrote: Fri 17 Aug, 2018 22.33
Born and bred Liverpudlian here, and I have to add Sayers is dreadful! Always thought there was something odd about a pink sausage roll!

One thing I always noticed about Sayers growing up- they rebranded a few times and would always seem to have the window frames and doors painted in the new corporate colour, but then take actual years to change the signage to the new look. I'm sure somewhere there's still a branch that has maroon paintwork but still has the orange and blue fascia signs.
Yeah I know of at least 2 that have the Blue and Orange sign but, painted red :lol: Yeah I do think though long term they might try and make them all Pound Bakery's as all the ones in my town centre are now Pound Bakery/Cafe's.
Andrew

I wasn't aware of that, I assumed Pound Bakery was a new upstart.
Martin Phillp

HOF's Oxford Street store has been saved.
TVF's London Lite.
scottishtv

According to the Sunday paper:
The future of Homebase is hanging in the balance as a group of powerful landlords considers legal action over an attempt to slash its rents by as much as 90%.

The DIY chain has asked creditors to approve a three-year turnaround plan that would see 42 stores closed and rents cut by between 25% and 90% on 70 others.

Creditors are due to vote on the company voluntary arrangement (CVA) on Friday. Hilco Capital, the retailer’s private equity owner, has agreed to pump in £25m if the insolvency move is approved.

However, property owners including M&G and Aberdeen Asset Management are understood to have hired the law firm Hogan Lovells to challenge Homebase over the rent cuts and shop closures. If the CVA were blocked, that would almost certainly tip the chain into administration.

[...]

Landlords complain that they suffer a sudden loss of income while other creditors are often left untouched.

[...]

A document prepared for creditors and seen by The Sunday Times says more than 70% of Homebase stores are loss-making. Revenues have dropped since its sale to Wesfarmers for £340m in 2016, which saw some sites rebranded as Bunnings and concessions such as Habitat and Laura Ashley ditched.
JAS84

Not sure where to put this, but Primark's Belfast store has been destroyed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45330801
g67bbx

scottishtv wrote: Sun 26 Aug, 2018 23.48 According to the Sunday paper:
The future of Homebase is hanging in the balance as a group of powerful landlords considers legal action over an attempt to slash its rents by as much as 90%.

The DIY chain has asked creditors to approve a three-year turnaround plan that would see 42 stores closed and rents cut by between 25% and 90% on 70 others.

Creditors are due to vote on the company voluntary arrangement (CVA) on Friday. Hilco Capital, the retailer’s private equity owner, has agreed to pump in £25m if the insolvency move is approved.

However, property owners including M&G and Aberdeen Asset Management are understood to have hired the law firm Hogan Lovells to challenge Homebase over the rent cuts and shop closures. If the CVA were blocked, that would almost certainly tip the chain into administration.

[...]

Landlords complain that they suffer a sudden loss of income while other creditors are often left untouched.

[...]

A document prepared for creditors and seen by The Sunday Times says more than 70% of Homebase stores are loss-making. Revenues have dropped since its sale to Wesfarmers for £340m in 2016, which saw some sites rebranded as Bunnings and concessions such as Habitat and Laura Ashley ditched.
CVA Approved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45367910
thegeek

Debenhams have brought in KPMG to 'look at their options'.

I wonder if "do a bit of Debenhams" will gain enough traction to become a byword for going into administration/being bought by Mike Ashley?