High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Square Eyes

The plan appears to be for some House of Fraser stores to become 'Flannels'. The higher end brand of the Ashley empire.
Martin Phillp

Square Eyes wrote: Fri 10 Aug, 2018 22.15 The plan appears to be for some House of Fraser stores to become 'Flannels'. The higher end brand of the Ashley empire.
Makes me wonder if Mike will keep the HOF store in London's Oxford Street to rebrand as Flannels? This would give him both Sports Direct and Flannels on the UK's main high street.

Croydon's House of Fraser is another potential as well. The site of the current Whitgift Centre is to be demolished next year to be rebuilt with the Centrale (Hammerson) where HOF is the flagship store to become London's third Westfield. John Lewis will be in the current Whitgift site when the new centre opens.
TVF's London Lite.
rdobbie

Here we have my local Homebase before and after the Sep 2017 Bunnings conversion, and after last week's "conversion" back to a Homebase.

Bunnings had the whole fascia painted in their red and green, which I assume they needed special permission for, as the whole retail park has a uniform light grey colour, as on the original Homebase pic.

Inside the store we've now got a gloriously bad branding mess.

While nothing has changed layout-wise, all the Bunnings logos have been covered with the Homebase logo in the clashing green colour. Some customer info signs have been replaced altogether with signs in Homebase's font and (weirdly) a blue background, now giving us 4 colours in play (or 5 if you include the orange 'O' in Homebase).

On the Bunnings banners and signs that they've decided to keep, stickers have been used to replace Bunnings' web address with the Homebase one, but still in Bunnings' Futura font. Clearly not much thought has gone into this - you can't "book a DIY workshop" at homebase.co.uk as it was a Bunnings offering which no longer exists.

gottago

WillPS wrote: Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11.26
JAS84 wrote: Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11.06 BBC suggests he could rebrand some as Sports Direct. Which might not be a bad idea if there isn't one already in a location and that HOF isn't doing well. I suppose he could hybridise some too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874
They'd be bloody massive Sports Directs, even the smaller sites.
The flagship Oxford Circus Sports Direct is massive at I think 4 floors and they manage to pack it all out with a huge range of products so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried out bumper sized stores elsewhere.
Martin Phillp

gottago wrote: Sat 11 Aug, 2018 09.37
JAS84 wrote: Fri 10 Aug, 2018 11.06 BBC suggests he could rebrand some as Sports Direct. Which might not be a bad idea if there isn't one already in a location and that HOF isn't doing well. I suppose he could hybridise some too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45140874
The flagship Oxford Circus Sports Direct is massive at I think 4 floors and they manage to pack it all out with a huge range of products so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried out bumper sized stores elsewhere.
Which was of course formerly HMV.
TVF's London Lite.
sqwidge1978

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 11 Aug, 2018 12.50
gottago wrote: Sat 11 Aug, 2018 09.37

Which was of course formerly HMV.
And prior to that Woolworths
http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2011/ ... oolworths/
Pete

https://logopops.tumblr.com/

a newly started blog documenting store logos that time forgot. Think we could probably supply the collator with some good examples.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

I wonder if that was an original Greggs in London? A lot of the Greggs shops in the capital were ex Bakers Oven.
TVF's London Lite.
iSon

Seeing that website reminded me of the retro signage on the M&S that I remembered fondly when I lived in Brixton. Google Maps has it recorded for posterity along with the option to change to the much less exciting branding that came afterwards. I'm sure there was talk of keeping the vertical lettering at one point but this obviously didn't happen.
Good Lord!
sqwidge1978

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 13 Aug, 2018 00.34 I wonder if that was an original Greggs in London? A lot of the Greggs shops in the capital were ex Bakers Oven.
In May 1994, the company acquired the Bakers Oven chain of bakers' shops from Allied Bakeries. They began rebrand of chains owned around 1999, rebrand ING Bragg and Thurstons as Greggs of the Midlands, Greggs of Yorkshire respectively, In December 2008, Greggs announced that all of its 165 Bakers Oven Stores.

According to logopedia the fascia above lasted until 2001 they rebranded to the new logo, begot minor changes in 2014.

1986-2001

2001-2014

2014-Present

So unless the did the odd revamp before the complete rebrand of BO it appears to have been an original Greggs.
DJDave

Not a patch on Merseyside's Sayers though ☺