High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 13.56
james2001 wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 11.18 Will probably be the bare minimum to cost as little as possible, probably just Homebase logos slapped over the Bunnings ones, but bunning style branding elsewhere.

It's as much of a mess as Morrisons taking over Safeway, slapping their name and business model onto everything without even seeing if it works, is appropriate or if people want it. A bit of research into whether people wanted the business model changing, or taking away a household name an replacing it with a brand unknown in this country was wanted.

Funnily enough I've heard about 3 Homebase adverts on the radio this morning, never heard any mention of Bunnings in any homebase advertising and they've still been pushing the Homebase brand.
Bunnings have managed to single-handedly crash the second biggest DIY chain in the country in less than a year.

Morrisons managed to take over a business bigger than itself, convert the majority of stores that were in a knackered old state, and use its vertical integration model to its advantage in working with Amazon and as a wholesaler in general, whilst taking at least some ideas from Safeway (unlike Bunnings).

Morrisons had it tough with Safeway, but made it through. Bunnings has had a disaster with Homebase.
In fairness to Bunnings/unfairness to Morrisons, Homebase has been in almost constant decline since JS sold it. Safeway was improving at the point of takeover. Sales performance at Safeway absolutely fell off a cliff because Morrisons basically sacked the entire store support operation. (In some ways, this helped them because they could point to those abysmal sales when reporting to investors on conversion success.)

Morrisons managed to keep their heads above water in the end by flogging off a lot more of the Safeway estate than they expected to, and certainly many many more than they were required to. In doing so, they missed out on their best shot of entering the convenience market. In mass-binning everything at Safeway they also created an overhead timebomb, as almost every Morrisons process required more man-hours than equivelent Safeway ones.

Neither is a shining example of 'how to do a massive takeover', but if you look purely at success Morrisons stood a much better chance (and came close to sinking under the weight of it twice in a decade). Bunnings were always going to have it tough.
Whataday

bilky asko wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 13.56Bunnings have managed to single-handedly crash the second biggest DIY chain in the country in less than a year.
I think that's severely understating Homebase's own decline prior to the takeover.

The whole Bunnings debacle is a remarkable story though.
rdobbie

I don't get why Bunnings only converted 24 Homebases in 16 months. It shows a lack of confidence right from the start, and of course it left the Homebase brand in a state of limbo with their hundreds of remaining stores just acting as placeholders.
james2001 wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 11.18 Will probably be the bare minimum to cost as little as possible, probably just Homebase logos slapped over the Bunnings ones, but bunning style branding elsewhere.
It's certainly got the makings of an entertaining branding mish-mash along the lines of the Focus / Great Mills / Wickes / Do-It-All saga.

The trouble is, the early Bunnings refits were very comprehensive and tailored to their pile-em-high warehouse style of retailing. Returning the stores to anything like the Homebase store experience is going to take a fair bit of work.

Although I was interested to read that the more recent store conversions were half arsed versions of Bunnings, the 'Warehouse' name was dropped, and they kept much of the Homebase shelving and store layout – see this article"It's not a Bunnings and it's not a Homebase".
all new Phil

I thought the Bunnings concept was pretty sound, it’s a shame they haven’t seen it through. DIY stores are one of the few bricks and mortar retail businesses that won’t necessarily be threatened by online, and their premise of making it an experience (never visited one in the UK but I’m aware of their Aussie operation) is pretty good and a decent point of difference.
rdobbie

MarkAshley wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 19.52Mezzanines were removed?
Yep, Bunnings removed the mezzanine from my Homebase in Sittingbourne when they converted it. It was used by Homebase for the kitchen and bathroom showroom areas.

Strange decision to actually decrease the amount of trading space, especially as one of Bunnings' supposed advantages over Homebase was its wider range of stock.
all new Phil

Seems to me that Homebase range far more than they need to though. My local one has a mezzanine level that was added a few years back to add a bathroom and kitchen showroom type area (which is always empty) and a soft furnishing area (which is always empty). Downstairs they have a pretty barren section of poor quality furniture. The store has around 6 checkouts and a customer service desk - I don’t think I’ve seen a checkout open in a good 5 years. It all adds up to a pretty dull shopping experience.
Charlie Wells

MarkAshley wrote: Sat 26 May, 2018 00.46
rdobbie wrote: Fri 25 May, 2018 23.01 Yep, Bunnings removed the mezzanine from my Homebase in Sittingbourne when they converted it. It was used by Homebase for the kitchen and bathroom showroom areas.

Strange decision to actually decrease the amount of trading space, especially as one of Bunnings' supposed advantages over Homebase was its wider range of stock.
What??

I mean that would be like taking over a supermarket chain, removing their LCD SELs and digital stock taking systems and replacing them with paper and ... paper.
Whether there was any logic in removing the mezzanines may depend on whether the removed ones were 'free-standing' or fixed to the walls.

At our workplace a couple years ago we moved into a brand new building which had a mezzanine. When the council came to visit to work out the building's rates we had to show the mezzanine was free-standing and not fixed to any of the walls, as if I recall correctly this meant the mezzanine level floor space couldn't be included in the rate calculations.

If the removed mezzanines had been fixed to the walls Bunnings might possibly have then been able to ask for the rates paid to be recalculated and reduced. If there wasn't much stock on the mezzanine and it was possible to reduce the rates they were paying then it would probably make sense to remove them to reduce costs in the long term.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
scottishtv

At least they've got rid of that awful hand-written POS everywhere.

I suspect the "Store Closing - Everything Must Go!" signs are on order for a few places too.
thegeek

scottishtv wrote: Thu 31 May, 2018 18.41 I suspect the "Store Closing - Everything Must Go!" signs are on order for a few places too.
Speaking of which, is Maplin still clinging on? I went past one on the bus the other day with some "last few days" signs on the window.
cwathen

barcode wrote: Tue 22 May, 2018 10.16 Thats even more M&S stores to go... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44197128
Newton Abbot (Outlet store)
Newton Abbot is both a surprise and not. It seemed to be reclassified as an 'outlet' store more as a way of avoiding paying for a refit rather than anything else. Apart from a few quickly applied 'M&S Outlet' vinyls, it still has the 1988 logo on the front and the interior is still completely of that era from when it was a normal M&S store.

Although converting any existing store to an 'Outlet' would seem to be a precursor to closure it has nevertheless survived for an awfully long time in that state (must be at least 10 years if not longer), seeing off all previous potential occasions where it could have been closed.

Google maps view below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en& ... oioImAEwCg
all new Phil

Surely, given their demographic, “Your Gran’s M&S” would be far more appropriate?