High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Whataday

Newport's probably given them free rent for six years. The perks of being part of a new development.
all new Phil

It’s a shame, I’ve always liked the atmosphere of Prezzo, their restaurants are really nicely done. Never really been madly keen on the menu though - and I love Italian food. There’s one round the corner from me (that’s on the list) that always looks empty. Carluccio’s seem to do Italian food much better.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 08 Mar, 2018 22.04 It’s a shame, I’ve always liked the atmosphere of Prezzo, their restaurants are really nicely done. Never really been madly keen on the menu though - and I love Italian food. There’s one round the corner from me (that’s on the list) that always looks empty. Carluccio’s seem to do Italian food much better.
Carluccios are also struggling it would seem, and will also be likely to close restaurants soon.
thegeek

this article fairly neatly encapsulates the problems being faced by casual dining chains.
When the market is sluggish and a restaurant chain’s headline sales growth slows down, that chain will attempt to protect its profitability by cutting costs, from ingredients to staffing levels. It can quickly become a spiral of decline as quality falls and customers walk.
Andrew

Two examples of how WHSmith must have stock sticking around for ever.

2018 calendars, still a substantial well stocked range available, now reduced to £2.99

if they weren’t so expensive they might have shifted them at the time, and then if not surely they should have been reduced to 99p by about the 15th January.

Ink Cartridges - some now 75% off, due to the fact they have passed the expiry date.
Martin Phillp

Went into Maplin in Croydon today, even with 10% off and the massive 'CLOSING DOWN SALE' banners which have become so familiar since Woolies, they can't shift the stock.
TVF's London Lite.
Charlie Wells

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 11 Mar, 2018 00.29 Went into Maplin in Croydon today, even with 10% off and the massive 'CLOSING DOWN SALE' banners which have become so familiar since Woolies, they can't shift the stock.
The same banners were present in their store near Goodge Street tube station. I was looking at the powerline network adaptors they had in stock and part of the problem was that even with 10% it only brought the price in line with their competitors. The other issue which put me off was that there was a notice saying that due to being administration there would be no refunds on anything sold (unless covered by statutory rights).
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Martin Phillp

Bromley Maplin has up to 50% off today.

ImageImage
TVF's London Lite.
barcode

Claire's is also on the way out, that was days ago?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/c ... 1518353250
JAS84

Toys R Us is closing down all it's stores in both the UK and US.
james2001

Where's Geoffrey going to work now?