High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Fri 05 Jan, 2018 03.04 I won't be sad if Pep&Co bites the dust. Their entry to Hull got the previous occupants of their store evicted even though they didn't want to leave. Outbid on the rent, I think. Luckily That's Entertainment found alternative premises, albeit smaller.
The landlord would have been actively marketing it. That's Entertainment typically go in on very low rents on short term contracts.
Martin Phillp

I actually like Pep&Co. Nowhere as pretentious as Primark competing for the same customer base. But Primark is the don of the budget clothes market.
TVF's London Lite.
Pear

Speaking of Steinhoff, first Pep&Co and now a (somewhat strange) integration of Bensons into Poundland, stretching the multi-price format to new levels. Wonder if they’ll go full “Big W” style in the future and start flogging Harvey’s sofas alongside their vibrating love rings?

https://twitter.com/dresserman/status/9 ... 5845780480
Alexia

Poundland doing sofas AND electronic tat.... that sounds like the perfect Ashens / Big Clive collab.
g67bbx

Dr Lobster* wrote: Mon 01 Jan, 2018 15.47 So what are your bets for which retailers are going to die in 2018?

Here's my 2018 deathwatch:

Maplin
Poundland
Toys R Us
Debenhams
I came across this forum by chance, thought I would add my own views on the subject.

Ones to watch in 2018:

Toys R Us - To be honest, it cant keep going for much longer. It will either fold completely or wind down to a few select sites.
Debenhams - Poor results over Christmas. I feel it will review its estate and cut out the deadwood shops, and put money into refurbishing the good ones.
House of Fraser - Seeking rent reductions. Unfortunately, I think it will end up going down the BHS route.
M&S - Store closures.
(Looks like the department stores are going to struggle this year)
Poundland (and Pep&Co) - Will be sold to new owner.
WHSmith - Just one to keep on the radar. Possible management/HO structure changes and closing of least profitable stores as leases end. Travel doing well.
TESCO - Possible Management changes and store redundancies.

That's it for now, but could be some changes as the retailers release their Christmas results. Next and ALDI have done very well over Christmas.
cyberdude

From what I'm hearing on the news, I don't think Mothercare will last much longer.
thegeek

cyberdude wrote: Mon 08 Jan, 2018 18.53 From what I'm hearing on the news, I don't think Mothercare will last much longer.
While waiting an inordinately long time to pick up a click & collect order before Christmas, I noticed that they'd left a team briefing sheet on the counter. So, naturally, I snapped it. Overall sales were roughly level with the same date last year, though ELC was down by about 15%, made up by Mothercare toys and home & travel being up by the same amount.

I was in again last week, and there was no confidential sales information lying about, but it did take 20 minutes to pick up an order - if they're offering free C&C in order to get people in to buy stuff while they're there, it ain't working.
cyberdude

thegeek wrote: Tue 09 Jan, 2018 11.59
cyberdude wrote: Mon 08 Jan, 2018 18.53 From what I'm hearing on the news, I don't think Mothercare will last much longer.
While waiting an inordinately long time to pick up a click & collect order before Christmas, I noticed that they'd left a team briefing sheet on the counter. So, naturally, I snapped it. Overall sales were roughly level with the same date last year, though ELC was down by about 15%, made up by Mothercare toys and home & travel being up by the same amount.

I was in again last week, and there was no confidential sales information lying about, but it did take 20 minutes to pick up an order - if they're offering free C&C in order to get people in to buy stuff while they're there, it ain't working.
Interesting. My local store (Parc Tawe Swansea, which still had the Children's World fascia until recently) isn't really that popular. It always seems to be empty when I'm nearby.
WillPS

Is that branch in Newport(?) still there with all the Children's World fit out?
g67bbx

New look looking to close 60 stores, possibly under CVA.
Alexia

WillPS wrote: Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10.19 Is that branch in Newport(?) still there with all the Children's World fit out?
Newport Road, Cardiff. Half subsumed by Argos nowadays.

https://goo.gl/maps/jDgVT11SSsD2