High Street chain collapse sweepstake

jonathan

JAS84 wrote: Tue 19 Sep, 2017 12.47 Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 678069001/
European operations are not included in the proceedings and Toys R Us don’t expect immediate impact on UK stores.
thegeek

Toys 'R' Us's UK head office is in Geoffrey House in Maidenhead. I think that may be the most interesting thing about Maidenhead.
Nick Harvey
God

No, the most interesting thing about Maidenhead used to be Memorex's head office. Now there's a memory that'll never fade away.
gottago

In light of Monarch’s collapse (not a high street chain but I’m sure they flew over a few high streets) I have to post their utterly bewildering advert campaign from last year.

Who the fuck chooses a low cost airline with a flight time of at most two and a bit hours because their staff are supposedly a bit nicer? Over half of that advert is spent on a miserable British road and zero of it actually flogs their exotic destinations. There was a big billboard campaign for this as well with a picture of the bloke giving up his seat on the bus. Is it any wonder they made such a huge loss when they couldn’t market something as easy as cheap foreign holidays?
Martin Phillp

With Lloyds Pharmacy closing 190 stores, I suspect the majority of them will be those stand-alone shops that are close enough to a Sainsbury's in-store branch after they acquired the supermarket pharmacy last year.

The service of my local Lloyds Pharmacy is excellent compared to the supermarket pharmacy which kept on the old Sainsbury's staff and their shoddy practices.
TVF's London Lite.
tillyoshea

gottago wrote: Mon 02 Oct, 2017 19.13 In light of Monarch’s collapse (not a high street chain but I’m sure they flew over a few high streets) I have to post their utterly bewildering advert campaign from last year.
I found it baffling that they were selling staff who "don't think - just act" as a positive attribute. Personally, I'd prefer that people in general think before they act - but even more so when their job is flying a bloody plane!
barcode

I'm surprised no one commented on UK toys r us closing down some of its shops. I still think Poundstretchers will be next to go pop. The company has been closing store all year, mind you some of them were very very dirty. There no cleaners, mind you there no stock checkers either, I've find some stuff past it's the best before date and no one had even notice. :?
WillPS

barcode wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 10.14 I'm surprised no one commented on UK toys r us closing down some of its shops. I still think Poundstretchers will be next to go pop. The company has been closing store all year, mind you some of them were very very dirty. There no cleaners, mind you there no stock checkers either, I've find some stuff past it's the best before date and no one had even notice. :?
Multiyork have also called in the administrators recently.

Poundstretcher have just bought in Poundworld founder and star of "Pound Shop Wars" Chris Edwards, so I think it's premature to write them off at this stage. I agree their stores are awful though.
barcode

I would love to know where he going to get the money to do up the stores, since most wouldn't look out of place in the 80s.
Dr Lobster*

So what are your bets for which retailers are going to die in 2018?

Here's my 2018 deathwatch:

Maplin
Poundland
Toys R Us
Debenhams
WillPS

Dr Lobster* wrote: Mon 01 Jan, 2018 15.47 So what are your bets for which retailers are going to die in 2018?

Here's my 2018 deathwatch:

Maplin
Poundland
Toys R Us
Debenhams
Maplin and Debenhams are still returning profits.

Poundland's profits are not reported individually since their acquisition by Steinhoff but given the massive profit they made prior to that (even with all the 99p Stores liabilities which they've since shoved off) I think it's a longshot. Another sale is far more likely.

Toys R Us are going to struggle, certainly.